Alternative treatments for Type 1 Diabetes

OSMann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,
I just wanted to share what I have learnt since my diagnosis and what has worked for me. Hopefully, it can work for others as well.
I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in December 2010 when I was 21 years of age (now 25 years of age). As many of you will understand, it was a shock to learn I had the condition. Whilst getting used to living with diabetes, I explored other forms of treatment, such as spiritual healing. I learnt Reiki in mid-2011 and began to treat myself every day. At my diagnosis, I was taking 1 unit of NovoRapid insulin to every 10 grams of carbohydrate and 24 units of Lantus insulin each night. Within six months to a year, I had reduced the NovoRapid down to 1 unit to every 20 grams of carbohydrate and the Lantus to 7 units. During this period, my basic lifestyle was not changing; I was eating healthily and exercising often, but I found, seemingly at random, my blood glucose level would drop. Each time it did, I would reduce my doses of insulin, always being very careful to monitor my level.
As commitments in my life have increased, it has become more difficult to keep this regime going, but with determination and focus, it worked for me during that time.

It would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts on this, and if any of you have employed a similar approach.

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really don't believe in any alternative treatments, and that sounds to me like honeymoon period. Have you talked with your doctor or medical team about it ? And does it still work or your insulin doses have increased ?

OSMann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Since things have become busier, they've increased, yeah.
I haven't spoken to my doctor about it. I've thought about it, so maybe I will the next time I have an appointment.
It does work, though. As you most probably know, you start to get a very good idea about what your body needs and how it reacts. You see patterns, and I can say that it works for me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Can't see it working for me after nearly 26 years. I know how my body works and certain patterns. But would it work for those who like me, have had type 1 for decades ?? Interesting to find out.

Best wishes RRB

amar1921

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will say again, I think it's honeymoon period. It came shortly after you were diagnosed and it stopped after a while. It is very possible that your pancreas started to produce some insulin again and maybe it happened at same time you started with that treatment, and after your honeymoon stopped, there is no energy to make your pancreas to produce insulin again. I was without insulin for almost 7 months, so it's definitely possible

OSMann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
RRB, it might work. You'd have to try it. There's nothing to lose, really.
Amar1921, I agree, it is very possible that it was the honeymoon period, which happened to coincide with my treatment. It's something that I'd like to try again, though, to see what happens.
I guess it all started with me trying to get back to the state I was in before, which I think is a normal thing to want.