always dehydrated

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
everyday I seem to be seriously dehydrated, I drink ridiculous amounts of water to a point where my stomach is severely painful because it has expanded to its limit where I drink that much.. it doesn't matter whether or not my bloods are high or low, anyone know anything?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could be a few things not diabetic related, some like potassium shortage needs fixing. ring the dr on monday for a quick appointment,, not one in a week and get your bloods done

Reactions: 4 people

Marty10000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I struggled with this for a few years, turns out I do not tolerate gelatin at all and it made me so thirsty I would drink until my stomach hurt. Possibly you have something similar. Does this happen after eating something in particular?

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that's exactly what I do, near enough everyday I'm drinking water to a point where I can't move as my stomach is so painful its rock solid, it was that painful lastnight I was almost sick.. pretty much after food yes but not all the time

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that's exactly what I do, near enough everyday I'm drinking water to a point where I can't move as my stomach is so painful its rock solid, it was that painful lastnight I was almost sick.. pretty much after food yes but not all the time
how did you go with the Dr appointment today? it is potentially quite serious and I hope he has given you an early one...if you are being messed about, it is serious enough for an A&E visit

http://www.healthline.com/symptom/excessive-thirst
Frequent excessive thirst and/or thirst that won’t be quenched can be symptoms of serious medical conditions, such as:
•dehydration: Dehydration occurs when you lack the proper amount of fluids for your body to function properly. Severe dehydration is life threatening, especially for infants and young children. Dehydration can be caused by illness, profuse sweating, too much urine output, vomiting, or diarrhea.
•diabetes: Excessive thirst can be caused by high blood sugar (hyperglycemia), and is often one of the first noticeable symptoms of diabetes.
•diabetes insipidus: With this form of diabetes, your kidneys are unable to conserve water, leading to excessive thirst.
•dipsogenic diabetes insipidus: This condition is due to a defect in the thirst mechanism, causing excessive thirst and excessive urine output.
•heart, liver, or kidney failure
•psychogenic polydipsia: This is a psychiatric disorder that causes people to drink too much.
•sepsis: This is a dangerous illness caused by a severe reaction to bacteria or other germs.

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't have a Dr's appointment today as I'm not at home, I've been away from home for 3 weeks so haven't been able to book an appointment yet

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think your really need some medical advice, I would go to A&E to be assesed

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
really? is it really bad to feel like this then?
as per the link,... it is bad if it's heart, liver, or kidney failure or a severe reaction to bacteria, A&E can do a blood test and get the results in an hour