Always poorly

Betty98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Guys.

Ive been T1 for a little over 2 years now, my diagnosis came after being incredibly poorly. Before T1 I was very rarely ill and since diagnosis I seem to have an infection every other month from flu to cellulitus more often than not resulting in hospital stays.
Whilst I know i am still in a very fortunate position and there are diabetics out there much poorlier than myself I find it incredibly frustrating and tiring and just wondered if anyone else was experiencing this?

D

Deleted Account

Sorry to read you have been poorly.
Thankfully, this has not been my experience since my t1 diagnosis. However, I find I feel more under the weather if my BG is high. So, yet another, reason for trying to manage this little beast.

I notice you say you had flu, this is really horrible and, I understand, harder to handle with diabetes.
Do you have the free flu jab which is available to those of us with diabetes?
I take it every year. Apart from once feeling a little low for a couple of days after my flu jab when they also gave me a pneumonia jab, I have had no ill affects. And I have not had flu since.
The jab does not provide 100% protection but it is better than not taking it at all.

Betty98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Helen.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have had the flu jab, might have just been a bit unfortunate this year!

I find that too! Is that our BG climbs when we are unwell anyway? I find I have to take much more corrective insulin when I am poorly. Im usually quite good at being in range!

:)

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Betty98 . I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I found my general health complimented my BG control in that when one became poor, so did the other. Being obese at the time, I decided to embark on a nutrition and exercise plan.

Winding the clocks forward 6 years, I can confidently say my general health has improved so much that my energy levels feel completely different to what they were previously. As a T1D, I find exercise in particular to be as valuable as insulin itself. Nowadays it is a part of my daily lifestyle.

That's not to say that I don't become poorly. It happens and I still catch colds/flu's. But my ability to deal with infections and my general wellbeing is day and night different.

Betty98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats so true about your BG reflecting your general health.

I do participate in some exercise but definatly something to think about :)

Thank you. Glad you managed to turn it around. X