always snacking

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
just wondering if other diabetics regulary snack. Im type 1 but only using novarapid after food. (no Lantus yet). I am currently keeping my levels 2 hours after food between 5-9. when in this range i always need 20- 30 carbs to prevent a hypo. even on the odd occasion when i am 10- 12, i will still need a snack before my next meal.

Reactions: 2 people

Jolo

how strange - sounds like your doing too much of the Novorapid, but that doesnt make much sense if your sugars are between 5-9 2 hours later? have you tried doing a bit less and testing 3 hours later? do you count your carbs?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yes i do carb counting b/fast 1/10 lunch 1/20 and tea 1/10. Have tried doing abosolutely nothing like just sitting on sofa watching tele. Same thing happens. Today for example i was 8 2 hours after tea and 3 hours after i was 5.6 with still another 1-1.5 hours of insulin. Had 20 carbs which i know will keep me at 5-6 before bed tonight. Drives me crazy having too snack especially as im not always hungry.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
brett said:
just wondering if other diabetics regulary snack. Im type 1 but only using novarapid after food. (no Lantus yet). I am currently keeping my levels 2 hours after food between 5-9. when in this range i always need 20- 30 carbs to prevent a hypo. even on the odd occasion when i am 10- 12, i will still need a snack before my next meal.

Try injecting before your meals then the insulin's profile will match your food absoption :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
will try injecting 30 mins before food today, will post later how it goes. thanks for the reply

Tricki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually brett, 30 mins is probably overdoing it - Novorapid starts to work in 10-20 mins so taking it 30 mins before if you are on normal levels is possibly risking an hypo either before or around the time you eat.

The leaflet recommends eating within 10 mins. So I wouldn't inject earlier than that until you know its ok for you to test going a little longer.

iHs

I also agree with what Tricki has said too. If this was me I would be inclined to alter my carb ratios a bit so that my bg levels were a bit higher 2-3hrs after eating food....... Novorapid's action can last for about 4-6hrs. For you its action is lasting longer maybe because your pancreas is still able to produce some insulin naturally........... It only struggles a bit to lower high bg levels but on bg levels that are within normal range it should start to work fairly quickly.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
been injecting 30 mins before food today with regular testing making sure i dont go to low before eating. Heres my results.

before b/fast 6.6 (1/10)
2 hours later 7.6
before lunch 6.1 (1/20)
2 hours later 13.6 (little high - less active than usual this afternoon, went for walk to try and bring down before tea.)
before tea 5.6 1/10

I know for tea i wont need a snack as that is the only time i rarely needed a snack before trying injecting 30mins before meals.

Not needed any extra snacks - first time ever for all meals.

Really pleased :D and i have also felt much better than usual today, thanks again for the advice and hopefully this will sort this problem out.

Tricki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad it worked out for you and that injecting a little earlier than usual didn't cause you problems.

Goes to show how peoples bodies react differently. I'd probably keep an eye on it for a couple of days in case yesterday was a little bit of a fluke - but that's cautious old me - you go with how you feel your body can cope with.

Am considering doing something similar as having the same problems as you with my evening meal, though I still need to make sure my basal levels are correct, and haven't been taught yet about ratios and the like by my healthcare team. Its good to know that your approach works for if I have exhausted other avenues.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Tricki, it has been working today also am monitoring closely for now till its regular. If you do try this and have the occasional hi fat/protein meal then do injection straight away as having particulary high fat/protein meals can put you low first and high afterwards as carbs take longer to absorb, so inject before eating or do a split dose- which you should discuss with your healthcare team first.