Am I a type 1.5

cejsmith

I was diagnosed as a type 2 about 5 years ago and I was on metformin twice a day and everything was fine HBa1c was under 7, but in September last year I was feeling rough and I noticed that my eye sight was going blurry, so like a normal man Ignore it for a few weeks and finally I thought I better test my blood sugar ( I hadn't bothered in months as my control was good!!!!) and it was 27 plus!!!

So off to the doctors I went and I had lost a stone in weight and I had high ketone's in my urine, so they slapped me on levamir and soon I was up to 120units a day and since then , they changed my drugs to 58 units of novarapid in 3 lots during the day and 62 units of levamir during the night and I also gone on to 1.2 units of vectoza.

The consultant says I'm a little unusual and they can't quite decide what I am, what do people think?????

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting.:)
May I ask is your pancreas actually producing any insulin itself?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi cejsmith!

Well, there are a lot of us who were initially misdiagnosed as Type 2 and then rediagnosed as LADA a while later. There are a couple of tests you can have done to help sort out if you are LADA or Type 2: GAD antibody test looks for the presence of antibodies that attack your pancreatic beta cells - these are often present in Type 1 but not in Type 2; c-peptide test measures how much insulin you are producing. However, judging by what happened to you, I suspect that your diabetes team will think it unnecessary to do these tests as the treatment would be the same either way - basal and bolus insulin. Personally, I'd still want to know.

Take care

Smidge