Am I being unreasonable to cancel outpatient appointments ?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
my brother is flying home from Kuwait tonight, myself and my mam suspect him to be type2 maybe my dad got type2 around the same age.
He is showing all the signs of a Diabetic, thirst, hunger, eyes going bad etc, I didn't want to post this as only a few family members know but he gets home tomorrow morning at 9.30am and has a Dr's appointment at 3.40pm, he has left the job he took just before Christmas to get the tests done as he knows the outcome if he does not, I have already bought him a BG tester

Reactions: Brunneria

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we all concur.. you need to go.
If in any more doubt. google diabetes complications and have a good look.
It doesn't have to go that way but you need to be proactive.

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get the texts too... They ask a reply if attending.... Always reply "YES."

Grab it with both hands @Mark14400 . The "ship" can sink faster if you don't....
Thankyou for knocking some common sense into me. I'm going through the mill at the moment and I appreciate all comments despite my short fuse...I've lived with this terrible disease for 3 months now....nothing compared to you guys...It's hard to come to terms with as I have really never felt ill. I guess you understand that. I will talk to the hospital and try and arrange a reasonable number of appointments...Thanks again...I really appreciate you help...:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
See what you can manage @Mark14400 then reshedule others.
You must have been feeling ill to have been flagged up for care.
Why risk death or organ damage for the little you make.
Get the health help as around the corner a good wage may appear but if ill you won't be able to enjoy it!!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess you understand that. I will talk to the hospital and try and arrange a reasonable number of appointments...Thanks again...I really appreciate you help...:)
Nice one, @Mark14400 - and do keep us posted as to how you get on! We're all here for you.
:):):)
I'm self-employed too - I'm an artist - and I empathise completely with the need to maximise the opportunities to make work pay. But taking time off to go to appointments maximises my opportunity to live the best life I can.
:):):)

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mark14400

As so many have already said - you need to attend these appointments and get on top of this condition. Any delay now could let it spiral out of control. I recall when I was diagnosed just how ill I was feeling; I too was self employed and worried about the drop in income about taking time off - however, it was a few months later when speaking to my consultant that I realised just how close I had put myself to being in a wooden box (we're talking a matter of weeks if I had not taken action).

Putting it all into perspective, time taken now to take control over your (suspected) condition, is a good investment of your time. If you can avoid the complications that some Diabetics suffer later on, then you will have a much improved quality of life; which after all is what everyone strives to achieve.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would suggest the retinopathy appointment is the most important - you could delay the others and get advice on diet and controlling the beast on here but we cannot check your eyes. And just because you don't have noticable symptoms doesn't mean there isn't damage taking place - I'm not trying to scare you, the likelihood is that everything is fine, but you need to be sure and spotting things earlier is always better. Taking the time now will save you time in the longer term.

S

serenity648

Last week, my friends son, who was diagnosed with Type 1 only 6 weeks ago, died in the night from a hypo. He hadnt had time to get to grips with this illness. He didnt take it seriously. And now its too late. He was 26 years old. Please, please get all the advice and help you need : (

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Last week, my friends son, who was diagnosed with Type 1 only 6 weeks ago, died in the night from a hypo. He hadnt had time to get to grips with this illness. He didnt take it seriously. And now its too late. He was 26 years old. Please, please get all the advice and help you need : (

Wow, that's terrible.

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are Type 1, once you get sorted, you may only have a once yearly consultant appointment and the same for the eye check.

Controlling diabetes will make you the architect of your own fortune...

The appointments are important. See the consultant asap and rearrange the others if need be.

I confirmed all appointments today.... I had to move one and the hospital understood (wasn't expecting that TBH). I hope doing the early work, I will be able to get this "Thing" under control...I'm not talking about the disease...but hope springs eternal...Thanks Guys, you are all diamonds....

Last edited:

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also self employed. I always try and get the first appointment of the day which means I can still do the best part of a days work.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I confirmed all appointments today.... I had to move one and the hospital understood (wasn't expecting that TBH). I hope doing the early work, I will be able to get this "Thing" under control...I'm not talking about the disease...but hope springs eternal...Thanks Guys, you are all diamonds....
@Mark14400 glad that you have decided to go to your appointments I'm Type 2 diet controlled so don't gave to attend too many clinics but my husband is self employed and is currently attending hospital appts with orthopaedics after breaking his arm last year and cardiology due to having a dicky heart. He also has to fit in 6 weekly blood tests at the GPs for warfarin checks. I agree that it can be a bind at times and he worries about not working some days but you cannot put a price on health although I have told him if we lived in the USA we'd be bankrupt by now!