Am I getting somewhere do you think?

MissMac

Now...my fasting BS was 15.4 (though I was told 15.9..maybe the Dr needs HIS eyes screening). I've not been able to test much as I didn't have my meter but it came today and I was curious where I was at...bit disappointed really as I had not eaten all day then had a late lunch of chicken, bacon and salad.....about an hour later tested and my BS is 7.0. I know it's half my fasting but I guess I wanted miracles but just to try and keep me at this...am I doing ok so far??? I mean it's been 2 weeks..I am just SO scared that the Hb1AC is not gonna come down enough for them to say I can carry on without meds and I don't want any!! (BTW my Hb1AC was 89 YIKES) xx

Reactions: 4 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say you were well on your way! The rule in this household is 7 and under at one hour after eating, 6 and under at two hours and, ideally, 5 and under fasting, but this is more difficult to control and is frequently in the low 5's. Keeping to these numbers, James achieves an HbA1c in the low 30's. He started out, three years ago, at 75mmol/mol. Keep up the good work.
Sally

MissMac

I'd say you were well on your way! The rule in this household is 7 and under at one hour after eating, 6 and under at two hours and, ideally, 5 and under fasting, but this is more difficult to control and is frequently in the low 5's. Keeping to these numbers, James achieves an HbA1c in the low 30's. He started out, three years ago, at 75mmol/mol. Keep up the good work.
Sally
Thank you, that makes me feel a little better xxx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A 7 is good an hour after a meal, so you must be doing something right.
All this takes time and is all trial and error, so patience is the name of the game at this stage.
Keep your food diary (including portion sizes) and record your readings alongside with the times (before/1 hour/2hours etc) and look for patterns to emerge. If the rise from before to 2 hours after is more than 2mmol/l (preferably less than this) there are too many carbs in that meal so you need to repeat the meal with reduced portions or eliminate the culprit completely.

MissMac

A 7 is good an hour after a meal, so you must be doing something right.
All this takes time and is all trial and error, so patience is the name of the game at this stage.
Keep your food diary (including portion sizes) and record your readings alongside with the times (before/1 hour/2hours etc) and look for patterns to emerge. If the rise from before to 2 hours after is more than 2mmol/l (preferably less than this) there are too many carbs in that meal so you need to repeat the meal with reduced portions or eliminate the culprit completely.
Thank you! I am gonna start from tomorrow I think as the meter did not come with loads of strips so need to order some more but least it will give me a bit of an idea xx

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its sounds like you are doing great. Just remember it took years for your BS to get to this point so it also takes time to come down but it seems to be coming down nicely.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! I am gonna start from tomorrow I think as the meter did not come with loads of strips so need to order some more but least it will give me a bit of an idea xx
MissMac, initially you'll need loads of strips, whilst you get a handle on things.

If you bought the SD Codefree meter, don't forget if you order directly from Home Health, you can have a discount on 5 or 10 pots, effectively meaning you pay for 4 or 8 respectively. If you don't already have the code let us know (I don't have it to hand right now) and either myself or @Bluetit1802 certainly have it. It's a discount worth having!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Now...my fasting BS was 15.4 (though I was told 15.9..maybe the Dr needs HIS eyes screening). I've not been able to test much as I didn't have my meter but it came today and I was curious where I was at...bit disappointed really as I had not eaten all day then had a late lunch of chicken, bacon and salad.....about an hour later tested and my BS is 7.0. I know it's half my fasting but I guess I wanted miracles but just to try and keep me at this...am I doing ok so far??? I mean it's been 2 weeks..I am just SO scared that the Hb1AC is not gonna come down enough for them to say I can carry on without meds and I don't want any!! (BTW my Hb1AC was 89 YIKES) xx
You are doing great and in your post one thing stood out to me. You had not eaten all day. Now we are all different but my fasting number in the morning is my highest of the day and if I do not eat at least a bite of something it will keep rising until I do. Gotta love that liver. Have a small nibble in the morning, even a piece of cheese or a pre-cooked hard boiled egg or a slice of cold ham. Either that or a slug of heavy cream in your coffee if you drink coffee. It will help stop that morning liver dump. Other than that GOOD JOB:p:D

MissMac

MissMac, initially you'll need loads of strips, whilst you get a handle on things.

If you bought the SD Codefree meter, don't forget if you order directly from Home Health, you can have a discount on 5 or 10 pots, effectively meaning you pay for 4 or 8 respectively. If you don't already have the code let us know (I don't have it to hand right now) and either myself or @Bluetit1802 certainly have it. It's a discount worth having!
@AndBreathe I went on there last night and it is cheaper than buying anywhere else but I don't have a code so if you do please do send it to me, that would be awesome! Thank you xxx

MissMac

You are doing great and in your post one thing stood out to me. You had not eaten all day. Now we are all different but my fasting number in the morning is my highest of the day and if I do not eat at least a bite of something it will keep rising until I do. Gotta love that liver. Have a small nibble in the morning, even a piece of cheese or a pre-cooked hard boiled egg or a slice of cold ham. Either that or a slug of heavy cream in your coffee if you drink coffee. It will help stop that morning liver dump. Other than that GOOD JOB:p:D
I truly wasn't hungry but thank you for that, done my fasting this morning and it's 6.9 so am pretty chuffed at that and I have woken up full of energy so I might even make myself the spiced muffin recipe that I found on Atkins and see how they are!!! I did post elsewhere that I am struggling a bit with the diet 'cause I am kinda over eating eggs and cheese at the moment....I am a bit intolerant of too much cheese in that it makes me feel really sick and most of the recipes I have found include..yup a lot of cheese! I'm more of a tea drinker though not had a proper brew for over a week now as couldn't stand it anymore without sugar so have moved to a pint of water whilst waiting for the fruit tea to cool a bit! xxx

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have you tried stevia in replace of sugar?
My OH now uses stevia for his coffee in the morning he doesn't like splenda etc because of the after taste.
1/8 spoon is equal to 1 tsp of sugar

MissMac

Have you tried stevia in replace of sugar?
My OH now uses stevia for his coffee in the morning he doesn't like splenda etc because of the after taste.
1/8 spoon is equal to 1 tsp of sugar
I've got some which I have used in my hot flax breakfast but I find it a little chemical tasting so not overly concerned...still not drinking tea can only help with less tannin staining! lol x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe I went on there last night and it is cheaper than buying anywhere else but I don't have a code so if you do please do send it to me, that would be awesome! Thank you xxx

Here you go. You do need to manually apply the code, you don't just "get" the discount by ordering 5 or 10 pots. It's worth noting that, unless they have updated their system coding, the code works for 5 or 10 boxes, not 6, 11 or whatever.

You'll rattle through them to begin with, but I looked on it as an investment in my health. You just cannot beat immediate, personalised feedback. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 170

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I meant to add, the discount on 5 and 10 is the same, so there's no advantage (aside from additional packages being delivered) in ordering 10 as opposed to 5 pots at a time.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much, really appreciated xxxx

I keep that piccie on my phone, so I usually have it close to hand. I've noticed they don't seem to put the stickers on the boxes any more, but they do still honour them.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
hba1c-chart.jpg
You are doing very well non-diabetics often read 7 or higher only 1 hour after a meal. 1 hour is a little early to test, generally testing 2 hours after the end of a meal is more useful.
This chart might help to put your readings in to perspective, keep watch your post meal highs but also your weekly, 14 day and 28 day meter averages and compare the averages with the Blood Glucose mmol/L scale along the lower edge of the chart.

Last edited by a moderator: