Am I going to benefit from a pump?

Jkmiller2010

Hi, I have been diabetic for 2 years this October. I have worked hard to get to grips and inject novo rapid about 4 times a day when I eat and 7 units of levimir at night.

My hba1c is now 6.5, it was 14 when I was first diagnosed and my sugars average at 7.9. I have a bout 3 lows a month, usually because I have overlooked my insulin!

The doc says a pump would allow me to fine tune my insulin and help further reduce my hba1c. Given that my bg readings are ok, most of the time, I want to know if I would benefit from a pump.

please can anyone who is on a pump help advise. I am doingt the dafne course in a few weeks.

jopar

If I go through some of the area's where you can fine tune a pump a lot better than using injections...

Because of the ability to fine tune with the pump, must people find that their total daily dose (TDD) drops... A lot of this is due to the background insulin..

With injection even with injecting twice daily, you only flatten out the peaks and troughs of the basal profile into a smoother wave, which leaves you in the position that at times, you can have too much insulin floating around, and at others you won't quite have enough.. So you tend to counter balance this out, with increasing/decreasing the quick acting insulin to carbs... Which is fine if routines etc are pretty consistent from one day to the next... But can cause problems with spiking/lows if not..

Another problems with injected background insulin, is due to it's design to adsorb slowly over a 24 hour period, you can't adjust it to fit a changing need, such as a work day or rest day, perhaps a regular session at the gym, you've got to overcome these problems with either reducing quick insulin dose or carb adjustments such as increasing carbs, taking extra carbs on board, to feed the background insulin to prevent a hypo.

With a pump, you can program the amount of insulin to be delivered at any one time, from very small dose most pumps start from around 0.05u per hour. Another advantage is that pump dependant of manufacturer have between 3-5 programmable basal profiles, so you can set different profiles to suit your work day needs, day off needs, gym needs etc... You can also change which profile you'll using at any time you want. another advantage you also have you can increase/decrease your current profile temporary for anything from 15minutes to 24 hours (15 minute increments) So if plans change, you can react to them. Surprising to how much difference the fine tuning on the basal rates, can make a difference to over-all control

With the bolus insulin, several advantages here..

First, you can deliver a part of a unit of insulin, most pumps it's in 0.05 increments, some start at 0.1, so no more rounding up or down of insulin to match carb intake...

Then you've got 3 bolus programs for delivery..

Standard, delivers dose in one go, same as injecting
Extended, delivers the dose over a even period of time, programmable in 15 minute increments
Multi-wave, Combines both Standard and Extended bolus, you program the spilt to be delivered!

So again, no wasted insulin, and you can deliver your insulin to match the different adsorptions of different foods/meals, so no having to spilt an injection, then remember to take the rest of the injection later, such as when eating pasta, pizza etc..

Also, all pumps now come with wizards that will calculate your insulin needs, So once you've sorted out your carb-insulin ratio's, corrections ratios for different periods of the day, reductions for exercise, illness etc and programmed it into the wizard, it will calculate your insulin dose you require by entering your carb intake, or by BG result.. It will also let you know how much active insulin on board, so you can avoid insulin stacking..

It can take hard work, commitment and sleepless nights to pin down, basal rates etc but once done pumping does get easier, so well worth the effort!

You've only been diabetic for a short time, over a long period of time as life throws all sorts at us, the many changes it does, from the good to the bad, and we get older our regime needs change so what works today in perhaps 5 years time won't, and we have to recalculate/adjust our insulin to adapt to the changes in those 5 years...

With a pump because you are tweaking it all the time, it pretty much keeps up with all this, with out you noticing that much, I've been using a pump now for over 4 years, and the setting now are different from what I started with, but due to they've kind of evolved, so I've tweaked this setting here, then there at another time I really haven't realised...

But if they are offering a pump, give it a try see if you like it or not, and if you really don't like it you can always hand it back, and return to injections.. But I do warn you though, there aren't many pumpers who do, most are like me will fight anybody trying to take our pumps away :lol:

marcusblack

jopar - you've sold it to me!! Am going onto a pump very soon and looking forward to it but still very apprehensive - Been injecting myself since 1980 (been diabetic since 1977) so the change is going to be huge for me. Will keep everyone updated to my progress on here

Jkmiller2010

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. I am now 31, and have a busy job and a father to a young boy who requires a lot of energy. The constant concern of having a low because of unplanned exercise or a bike ride does take its toll. I want to be in full control of my diabetes and therefore the docs happy to try a pump. I suppose the next step is to bite the bullet and say yes to trying one. Then I need to work out how to wear it with a suite.!

Thank you again for such a great overview.

leb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi i have only been on a pump since the beginning of august and just wanted to say so far its been grest. I have alot less hypos and although i still get the odd blip on the whole my controls better than its been for 15 years or more.
As for finding how to wear it with a suit its prob the best atire to fit it in. Being a woman i find dresses a no no now. I know its possubke but easier fo clip to waist bands or slip in a shirt pocket. My boss at work also has a pump and wears a suit and you wouldnt even know he had it on :)
Good luck

Jkmiller2010

Re: I have now chosen my pump, is it the right one.......

Hi, I am due to start a pump next month and was given the choice of medtronic, animas and accu check. Blinded by science, technology and gadgets I made went for the accu check. The main reason was the fact I can hide it and control it from the remote. I'm aware animas and medtronic are now also supplied with remotes but they appear to be just a bolus switch. Being a bloke, I don't want to have to keep fishing it out to change the bolus. I hope I have made the right choice, who knows. Any one got any thoughts. I'm not fussed about CGM as I don't mid testing. The other accu check benefit to me is the lancets, I'm fed up of housing thousands of lancets and I love the cartridges. What worries me is the medtronic seams to be the better pump, in terms of air bubbles etc.

The question is, have I made the right choice!!

JemmaDawn

AWESOME read guys! I'm a brittle T1 living with NO pancreas! I was born with a very rare disease which basically digested my pancreas (Hereditary Chronic Pancreatitis), gradually I had parts removed by major surgery over 12yrs, until I had a total pancreatectomy (TP) 2 1/2yrs ago, which is when I became full-blown T1 (was classed as a 'partial D' or T1.5 for a year or so previous to last big op, was on BI shots & Gliclazide pills). I did DAFNE & became a sponge at everything D & picked up carb-counting VERY quickly & successfully, even at guesstimating lol! ;)

BUT, with brittle D & living without a pancreas throws me all sorts of issues & complications, even though I've always done everything possible to prevent them, I'm strict with BG testing (up to 10times p/day, ratios & trends, BI changes, do multiple corrections p/day, often with zero budge in my erratic high BGs :( ). My pancreatitis STILL causes major issues & am still on multiple meds including pancreatic enzymes every time I eat/drink as I can't digest any foods or fat without them, also suffer from 'daily 'memory pain' & attacks, BAD steattorea, daily vomiting (espec with meals), not to mention depression etc.

I have Gastroparesis which they believe is a result from long-term prescribed opiate & pain meds for most my life + all the major surgeries I've had + D. Eating with pancreatitis has always been an issue (& extremely painful, often going days/weeks totally nil by mouth) in itself, but now with D AND GP it's even worse b/c at times I HAVE to eat to maintain/raise BG-even when I can't keep anything down, then when I do eat it often sits in my stomach undigested for many hours/days due to Gastroparesis (GP) before I regurgitate/puke up undigested food from 2days ago, so as you can imagine my BG will drop after my shots due to undigested food & not being absorbed, then depending on how friendly my stomach wants to be my BG will sky-rocket hours/days after once it's digested :/ so for 'safety' reasons I HAVE to do my shots 1/2hr or so AFTER I eat/drink, its a CONSTANT battle.

My other health problems are enough to 'try' & handle, but the many other factors are making it near impossible, depressing & I feel extremely deflated & hopeless. After just 2 1/2yrs I already have D-related complications (Some I had after just a matter of months :( but I don't wish to discuss on public boards) which terrify me. I get ketones often & lost well over 4stone post-op, & despite having high-carb diet including upto 5 Ensure build-up drinks p/day I STILL can't gain any weight, let alone maintain it.

My immune system is utterly shot & I get every germ going & treated/tested for multiple infections from kidneys, bladder, nasal, oral, dental etc several times p/month! Don't even talk to me about thrush lol, I've been treated every single month for almost 3yrs for oral thrush, which takes a hammering med-wise & just creeps back again a week after treatment, I've had it so bad for so long & so stubborn that the Staph bacterial infection took over the oral thrush, & last time the swab lab result couldn't even determine exactly what it was!! :/

My Hba1c has been creeping up every couple months, I also haven't had any hypo-awareness in the whole time I've been full-blown T1 (on QA) & have to have someone watch over me as much as possible, I've tested in past with NO hypo-signals & BG was 1.3 & even 0.7mmol, which I didn't think was possible to still be conscious that low. Fortunately my GP agreed to prescribe me 10 test strips p/day as I'm 'at risk', & 9 needles p/day due to corrections, ouch my tummy & legs are solid now even though I rotate sites!

I was on a vast cocktail of strong painkillers, opiates & meds for my CP but I reduced most & feel better for it physically & mentally, although still suffer daily with all symptoms, but the slightest stress or flare in my other health probs sends my BGs manic & I end up unresponsive to insulin & corrections, one min I'm resistant, the next I'm sensitive, even on fasting days & after carb-free meals (cheese omelette, or bacon & eggs) my BG STILL leaps & often doubles, which 'they' believe is the undigested food from previous meals/days sneaking up on me.

My DN has told me from day dot of diagnosis that I'm top of the list for qualifying for insulin pump therapy due to not having a pancreas, I didn't know much about pumping at the time & wanted to 'try' & come to terms with MDI & carb-counting first (I'm beginning to believe there is no coming to terms with D?! ;) ). After a LOT of research, meeting users & learning how much I could possibly benefit I decided the pump was worth a shot (no pun intended ;) ) & the option's always there to return to MDI, BUT, after speaking to my GP & having friends who have been declined I was told that thanks to the new government & cost-cuts; pump therapy is no longer offered on NHS in England!! :( SURELY pumps are far more ££-friendly & health-friendly than MDI & multiple on-going drs appts, tests, meds to treat this & that caused by D?? I'm absolutely devastated as I haven't been able to work for many years due to my life-long health probs so obviously would never be able to even buy a pump, let alone supplies, I'm not saying I'm 'entitled', but you'd think the govt/NHS would realise the overall benefit for such cases, not just for me personally/physically or other D, but for THEMSELVES, if my body carries on the way it is (which has cost the NHS £££££££ already in just 2 1/2yrs of D alone), just imagine how annoyed they'll be after 10, 20 or another 30yrs of expense toward my D-care?? I feel enough of a burden as it is. D is for LIFE, & I wish adequate help & support was available for ALL to make it easier for the sick & suffering, EVERYONE'S entitled to a healthy life, unfortunately politicians in power only think about the NOW or next few months, not the next 5yrs, there's no quick or easy fix, if only...

Apologies for the ramble :/