Am I permanent diabetic now?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Veryanxious I am so happy to find somebody whose numbers I don't have to convert! India and US must have the same "ratings" system for levels of diagnosis, as well.
I completely understand your anxieties, as despite all advice to the contrary, I am a worrier. I know it's counter-productive and even unhealthy to worry, but tell that to the worry-center in my brain!
Here in the US, if you get a1c's of 6.5 twice EVER, you are diabetic, speaking now of T2D. So I got my first 6.5 several months ago. I could easily explain it by all the stress eating of all things chocolate, but knew I had to stop with the sugar. My much younger brother was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome in his 40's, my mother was pre-diabetic for about 10 years until finally becoming diabetic in her late 80's, at which point (she's now 91) the doctors said, no treatment needed. So this definitely runs in the family.
The best thing you've done is to join this forum (I am brand new here as well; stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago, and it is much nicer than its American equivalent.) SO I'm glad to meet you! And wishing you all the best as we travel our lives.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@AloeSvea You are so right! But my mom gained about 10 pounds during her entire married life, and began losing probably in her late 70's. Her brother was thin as a beanpole all his life and was diabetic. Their father, whom they take after, didn't live long enough to find out. My brother and I were definitely food though. (see my above...:rolleyes:) We both have sugar cravings that I don't believe either parent ever had. Nor does our sister. No more of that for me!

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I completely understand why you are anxious @Veryanxious - you had been diagnosed with an HBA1c of 6.0/42. Great that you brought it down to such healthy levels by lower carbing and exercise! And you are keeping an eye on your HBA1c to make sure it stays healthy. Well done indeed.

Anxiety, or not being calm, is a way we humans get cracking especially when something crucial to our survival is at stake. Not getting type two diabetes is a very good thing, imho, to get cracking for. And a prediabetes diagnosis is a good push to getting healthy. Which is what Veryanxious did.

I understand that "you should calm down really" is and can be very good and standard advice for Anglo-Saxons, or northwestern Europeans generally perhaps, @Emile_the_rat. I too have seen the tea towels and the cups! But there are entire peoples, countries, and cultures that do not hand out the cup or the phrase every time anxiety or emotion is expressed. (I have some great Greek friends, for instance, who do not own the cup.) There are many peoples, countries and cultures where emotion, including anxiety, can be openly expressed. Many folks even think it is healthier to do so. (I know! Shocking!) (Irony alert there.) And, just as importantly, if you tell folks not to express emotion, you can sometimes get a very emotional response to your response! :). This is an English-language, UK-based website and forum, but not everyone on this forum is English. Such is the nature of the world wide web!

View attachment 29918
Thanks @AloeSvea, in my country we don't talk about our anxiety or problems with people. I have not even shared struggle with my parents about changing my food patterns. Also It was really hard coming from pure vegetarian family to learn to cook and eat animal products for low carb diet. But I guess efforts paid off. I will definitely take your advice and keep type two diabetes or pre diabetes away and keep doing low carb.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Veryanxious I am so happy to find somebody whose numbers I don't have to convert! India and US must have the same "ratings" system for levels of diagnosis, as well.
I completely understand your anxieties, as despite all advice to the contrary, I am a worrier. I know it's counter-productive and even unhealthy to worry, but tell that to the worry-center in my brain!
Here in the US, if you get a1c's of 6.5 twice EVER, you are diabetic, speaking now of T2D. So I got my first 6.5 several months ago. I could easily explain it by all the stress eating of all things chocolate, but knew I had to stop with the sugar. My much younger brother was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome in his 40's, my mother was pre-diabetic for about 10 years until finally becoming diabetic in her late 80's, at which point (she's now 91) the doctors said, no treatment needed. So this definitely runs in the family.
The best thing you've done is to join this forum (I am brand new here as well; stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago, and it is much nicer than its American equivalent.) SO I'm glad to meet you! And wishing you all the best as we travel our lives.
Thanks and Nice to meet you too. How are you controlling your A1C?
I have started mindfulness and it's helping with my anxieties. I would suggest anyone struggling with anxiety to try it.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks and Nice to meet you too. How are you controlling your A1C?
I have started mindfulness and it's helping with my anxieties. I would suggest anyone struggling with anxiety to try it.
Thanks, @Veryanxious ! I find it very friendly and welcoming here! I am very new to this management thing, having only begun in late August. I ought to manage stress better, but so much of it is unavoidable that thinking about taking time to manage it is stressful LOL! I'm glad you are finding it helpful, and hope it continues to be so.

I am following in my (much younger) brother's footsteps of low carb and all the good fats you want and exercise every day. He's a runner and thinks nothing of 10 miles. I have two bionic hips and don't care to wear them out by pounding them, even though my hip surgeon says, NO activity restrictions. So I walk, but 10 miles is not in my repertoire yet. When I was 20, sure!

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @Veryanxious ! I find it very friendly and welcoming here! I am very new to this management thing, having only begun in late August. I ought to manage stress better, but so much of it is unavoidable that thinking about taking time to manage it is stressful LOL! I'm glad you are finding it helpful, and hope it continues to be so.

I am following in my (much younger) brother's footsteps of low carb and all the good fats you want and exercise every day. He's a runner and thinks nothing of 10 miles. I have two bionic hips and don't care to wear them out by pounding them, even though my hip surgeon says, NO activity restrictions. So I walk, but 10 miles is not in my repertoire yet. When I was 20, sure!
Yes I am also glad to find this community. Very helpful.
And walking is great, also I find it very therapeutic. I nowadays walk for an hour after my dinner.

Reactions: zauberflote