Am I prediabetic

Juliedfbell

Hi everyone,

I'm new and would really appreciate some advice. I've been having fatigue problems for around a year. I have had SIBO and was also diagnosed with M.E.

Recently my symptoms have changed, awful fatigue, chronic thirst, some cloudy vision, agitated, twitching sweating at night (Though also possibly menopausal). My doctor seems to think HBA1C only needs done once a year - it was fine in September. I have had lots of other bloods done - all clear.

My friend is a pharmacist and she gave me a glucose monitor. On Wednesday I was extremely weak with really heavy, restless arms, slightly confused. I didn't test levels until Thursday morning. Fasting level was 7.1, 2 hours after a small cereal (No sugar) 9.2. Two hours after lunch 10.5. Today I feel a bit better and my levels are lower - Fasting was 6.1, 2hrs after lunch 9.3.

Could these levels be symptomatic? I really don't know what to do next. My doctor will not be impressed to hear that I have beet googling and have taken action to test myself.

Any advice would be most welcome

Many thanks

Julie x

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi everyone,

I'm new and would really appreciate some advice. I've been having fatigue problems for around a year. I have had SIBO and was also diagnosed with M.E.

Recently my symptoms have changed, awful fatigue, chronic thirst, some cloudy vision, agitated, twitching sweating at night (Though also possibly menopausal). My doctor seems to think HBA1C only needs done once a year - it was fine in September. I have had lots of other bloods done - all clear.

My friend is a pharmacist and she gave me a glucose monitor. On Wednesday I was extremely weak with really heavy, restless arms, slightly confused. I didn't test levels until Thursday morning. Fasting level was 7.1, 2 hours after a small cereal (No sugar) 9.2. Two hours after lunch 10.5. Today I feel a bit better and my levels are lower - Fasting was 6.1, 2hrs after lunch 9.3.

Could these levels be symptomatic? I really don't know what to do next. My doctor will not be impressed to hear that I have beet googling and have taken action to test myself.

Many thanks

Julie x

Hi and welcome.
We can't really diagnose you over the internet but certainly, your glucose levels are a little on the high side but some non-diabetics do get these levels.

Can I suggest that you take a look at his page.....
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

It gives you an idea of what the recommended levels are, but in reality only the a1c (also GAD and C-Peptide) test(s) can determine if you're really diabetic.

DanW13

Hi everyone,

Many thanks

Julie x

Hi Julie,

If you want a bit more evidence to confirm one way or another before confronting your GP again, you may want to order yourself a Hba1c test online, Goonergal sent me this link a few weeks ago, apparently the results are pretty accurate.
https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/