Am I Pregnant!? I'm Petrified!!

jojogirl

I know its v early days to tell, but I think I may be pregnant, but its too early to test.
Do you get v high sugars so early on as 1 week on???
I'm absolutely petrified because my levels are absolutely erratic, I'm not under any pre-pregnancy clinic, and have just recently moved the other end of the country, and therefore been transferred to a new clinic. So I'm worried sick because if I am, then it will be getting damaged because my levels have suddenly gone horrendous, and I've got no support from any pre-conception diabetes pregnancy clinic! Obviously I will get in touch with the docs asap today and try to get them to refer me, but in the meanwhile I could do with some support and advice!
I may not be at all, but I seem to have the symptoms, and it is highly possible!
Please help!

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Hey jojogirl! I can't advise re-higher blood sugars to start with as I've never been pregnant myself (just trying for 20months already) so apologies here. Are you taking any folic acid? If I was you I'd get a prescription for 5mg folic acid (if you aren't taking it already) and start taking it straight away to minimise the risk of neural tube defects.
And then obviously try and keep your levels as normal as possible. I have my fingers crossed that you get the result you were hoping for when you test. Good luck! xx

Reactions: 2 people

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Sorry forgot to say I am sure it'll all be fine so don't worry too much (I know it's easier said than done) xx

jojogirl

Hi Kitty55! Thanks for your reply... I went out yesterday in a panic and bought some folic acid because I hadn't been taking any. I called the docs today and will get them to put some on prescription for me. The ones I've got are just the 400mcg strength, so i took a few of them!
Thanks! We would be so pleased if it was a positive test, but also very worried, due to not having managed to get my HbA1c level down to the right level, ect!
I hope you have some luck soon!! xx

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Thank you, I hope so too! And I have heard of so many girls who had unplanned pregnancies and still had healthy beautiful babies. As I said I am sure you (and your potential baby) will be fine. How's your hba1c if you don't mind me asking? xx

jojogirl

Here's hoping!! :)
I had my hba1c back a couple of weeks ago, and it was 8.5%.... which for me was quite good, because it used to be between 9 and 10!
so it still needs a lot of work... I think its just going to be a case of going zero carb, and keeping a VERY close eye on sugars until I can test..!

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
It'll come down quickly and the only thing you can do is test test test..and if you then keep a close eye on sugars you'll be fine I'm sure:) xx

jojogirl

I'll be prayerful, and watchful and see what happens :) thanks for your encouragement. I'm off to the docs!
Will update the post soon as I know! :) xx

jojogirl

Went to the docs.
He refused to give me more strips (they put me on far less strips than I was on, at my last surgery), and said I don’t need folic acid, and wouldn’t put them on prescription, and said I could BUY “Pregnacare” if I want, as that’s got everything in I need, including folic acid. So I said I already have my own minerals and vitamins so please could he just prescribe the folic acid on its own, and he said there’s no point, unless I know for definite that I’m pregnant!?!?!

And he said I may aswell throw my minerals and vitamins away because you only pee them out!?!?! I literally have got home and cried my eyes out. I feel SO INSECURE and feel like because of this HORRENDOUS doctors surgery, I am going to have a totally retarded baby with every problem possible. He said just don’t worry about it, and so long as I keep control of my sugars, it will be fine, and that I’m one of the good patients, and that my diabetes was fine, so long as I keep my sugars below double figures!?!?!?!?! EVERYBODY knows it should be kept between 4.2 and 6 for pregnancy. How are you supposed to keep good control if you're not given enough test strips to test with!???

And I’m not surprised that he said I’m one of his “good patients” if you’re only allowed a certain amount of strips, and if people get told they have bad control if they need more strips than that, then no wonder his other patients have worse control than me! He LITERALLY told me that I must have bad control if I’m needing more strips!!! NO, it just means I want to keep a closer eye on it!

HORRIBLE man. Anyway I’ve been referred to the main hospital and am just waiting to get a referral letter from there, and I’ve got a blood test on Friday 21st to check my B12 levels and folic acid levels! Basically they’re saying if there’s nothing wrong with my folic acid levels then they don’t need to prescribe me them if I get pregnant. Is it me, or have NHS, gone EXTRA stingy on the necessary items!????

jade88

Hi Jo-jo
Sounds like your doc doesn't have any medical training! They like diabetics to take 5mg of folic acid for at least 3 months before they start trying (my team put me on it back in August and I'm not even trying yet!)
I've had trouble getting more strips in the past but got my diabetic nurse to speak to the docs and insist I needed more!
I was also advised to start taking vitamin D straight away. You should hopefully get a more positive experience from the diabetes team at hospital! Try not to worry too much lots of girls on here have had unplanned pregnancies and been fine!
Good luck and keep us posted! xxx

jojogirl

Hi Jade
Thank you SO MUCH for confirming. I tried to tell him that, but didn't get anywhere... and thanks so much for being encouraging :) My sugar has been on 6.7 the rest of the day as it has made me ultra concious of what goes in my mouth! My multivit & mineral pack also has vitamin D so I should be ok on that one. I think I should get better care at the hospital. If not, I will just have to do my very very best to stay level headed!!
Thanks a lot, will keep you posted :)

xxx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey jojo

Wow what a horrible situation to be in with your doctors , especially how they seem to not understand the importance of what you are trying to explain to them . From what I have read it seems for now you are doing all you can with the vitimans that you are taking as the doctor won't subscribe you with the 5mg folic acid , I also like jade was on this 3 months before I feel pregnant , but on the other hand try not to worry as I was told that a lot of people only start taking folic acid once they find out their pregnant words from my Dsn . I experienced a week before I was meant to have my period really high random bms and I was like really ? I don't need them now , but aslong as you can get them back down within a reasonable time then that's really good , it's the long term highs that can cause the damage and I read a minute ago you are now in the 6's this afternoon so that's brilliant . I agree with jade , that once you are under the hospital you should hopefully be dealt with differently and have the help support and advice you need and they should be able to help you out with the issues your experiencing with the doctors . Is so hard not to stress but then stressing rises bms anyway so is a vicious blooming circle . Deffinately keep at it and get under that hospital and try and keep your bms as close to target as you can then you know with in yourself your giving baby the best chance ( if you find out you are pregnant )
Look forward to hearing how you get on take care .
x

jojogirl

Hi Chloe!
Do you know if its ok to take 10 of the 400mcg standard tabs? would that be almost the same as having 4mg of them?
Hey thats interesting you also had high bms at the very beginning. I'm wondering abt getting that new Freestyle Libre machine where you can test as many times a day as you want, by scanning the inserted censor on your arm. I'd have to pay for it, which would be £100 a month but it would be worth it if I had it throughout the pregnancy. And sometimes you do just have to pay if you want the care :-/
Are you still pregnant, or have you had your baby?
xx

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
What makes you think you are pregnant? Have you done a pregnancy test? How long have you been trying? How late are you? Big hugsx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really don't know the answer to that one , as it's hard as I was put onto 5 mg , but the way I see it being on the 400mcg is better than no folic acid at all ? , I know your new to the area so don't suppose you would know of a diabetes clinic around you as they might be able to advice you on what to do if you could find a number , if not will just be a wait Untill the hospital contact you which is annoying . When would you be able to do a pregnancy test ?

Oh yeah I have seen a lot of people talking about them on this forum actually , does sound pretty fab to be able to that , yeah I get what your saying would be a lot of money for you to have to pay out , but if it would help you throughout your pregnancy sounds good to me .
How many bms are you managing to do at the moment a day as I know doctors are not supplying you with more strips ?

I'm still pregnant and this is our first baby I'm currently 13+3 today :)

xx

jojogirl

Hi Scandichic
Its very early days so I can't test yet. But we went unprotected at my most fertile stage just using withdrawal method, (sorry tmi!) and I've been ehausted/bad headaches/ high sugars/ stomach cramps/ mood swings/diarrhoea/ higher temp than normal, all for no reason, and I can't think of any other reason as I'm not normally like that! and looking up the symptoms, I seem to fit them all! Sorry you probably think I'm pathetic, like my dr did, but I'm just so worried about damaging a potential baby! The dr said that its only a couple of cells so stop worrying abt it! Really not the sort of person you'd go to if you were wanting to hear nice words!

Hi Cloe,
I'll be able to test on the 25th...
At the moment I am just using up my strips and testing as many times as I need to. I still had some stock from my last clinic.... so atm I test about 5-8 times a day. Just depends. Like the other day I thought I was having a hypo so I tested and it was on 4.2, then today I kept feeling like I was really high, but they were just 6's and 7's! But you can't just inject without testing because you feel high, so you have to test! But how do you tell that to a MALE doctor who's NOT diabetic, and Never had the worry that he might be pregnant and has to be v careful incase!!! :rolleyes:
But now that my back up stock has run out, and I've started on their quantities, I'll just have to limit myself to 6 per day (they've allowed me max 200 strips for a month). They tried to limit me to 100 per month at first!

oh well I'll just have to be Patient, Careful, Calm & stick it out without them!!

Congratulations! You're well on your way then!:)

xx

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi Scandichic
Its very early days so I can't test yet. But we went unprotected at my most fertile stage just using withdrawal method, (sorry tmi!) and I've been ehausted/bad headaches/ high sugars/ stomach cramps/ mood swings/diarrhoea/ higher temp than normal, all for no reason, and I can't think of any other reason as I'm not normally like that! and looking up the symptoms, I seem to fit them all! Sorry you probably think I'm pathetic, like my dr did, but I'm just so worried about damaging a potential baby! The dr said that its only a couple of cells so stop worrying abt it! Really not the sort of person you'd go to if you were wanting to hear nice words!

Hi Cloe,
I'll be able to test on the 25th...
At the moment I am just using up my strips and testing as many times as I need to. I still had some stock from my last clinic.... so atm I test about 5-8 times a day. Just depends. Like the other day I thought I was having a hypo so I tested and it was on 4.2, then today I kept feeling like I was really high, but they were just 6's and 7's! But you can't just inject without testing because you feel high, so you have to test! But how do you tell that to a MALE doctor who's NOT diabetic, and Never had the worry that he might be pregnant and has to be v careful incase!!! :rolleyes:
But now that my back up stock has run out, and I've started on their quantities, I'll just have to limit myself to 6 per day (they've allowed me max 200 strips for a month). They tried to limit me to 100 per month at first!

oh well I'll just have to be Patient, Careful, Calm & stick it out without them!!

Congratulations! You're well on your way then!:)

xx
You don't sound pathetic at all! You sound like someone who wants to have a baby! What's wrong with that? It took me a couple of months and I was absolutely convinced I was then found that I wasn't and felt really down so I totally get it! Have you got sore boobs down the side? Please keep me posted. I have everything crossed for you! Big hugs! X

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jojo, you poor thing, your doctor sounds awful! I think you need to change doctor/practice and maybe get him reported to someone because that is complete incompetence!
Have you spoken to your DSN at the hospital? They will hopefully see you ASAP if you are pregnant and even if you're not should be able to offer advice.
I hope you get sorted soon! Good luck!
Jess

Serenede

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

In answer to your first question your sugars can go up dramatically mine did almost straight away. Just keep testing and correcting when you need to. If you can cut some carbs out that helps too. If I were you I would go and see a different Dr, it's absolutley terrible the way you were treated. You should be on 5mg folic acid at least three months before trying so there's no reason why they shouldn't be prescribed. Be careful of taking a normal multi vitamin as they have vitamin A in which is harmful in pregnancy, switch to a pregnancy one if your not on it already. You could always ring the clinic you left and explain to them what's happening they should still be able to help x

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jojo :

Oh I see still a little bit of a wait Untill the 25th then , that is going to drive you crazy , good luck with the out come and let us all know how you get on

Yeah definitely I think it's brilliant that you want to do whats right because there is the possibility of being pregnant , and it does sound crazy with your doctors I really hope you can sort something out and that you get the help that you should be getting .
I've seen on here that a lot of pregnant women test all sorts of different amounts whilst pregnant and I think it's just whatever works for the individual
Personally for me I'm testing 7 times a day and I feel happy with that and so are my diabetes team as this is what they advised as I dont want to go obsessive I'd become a nightmare lol , I test if I feel high or low but generally it's ok doing the 7 and is working good so far .
How have your bms been over the last couple of days .
Take care x