Am I still diabetic?

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got mine from junk food, and too much of it, but then again I ate about that a day. (Well maybe on a bad day, but if a bbq is a bad day......)
And when I stopped eating that, and lost a quarter of my body mass, I lost the diabetes with it.

So, I have no problem facing the fact I ate my way to diabetes, as that meant I could take the steps required to resolve it.

Mediterranean diet now, healthy non saturated fats, exercise, and fresh food.

So even if may not help the 20% who aren't obese, perhaps it can help the other 80%, and 4 out of 5 is a good enough starting point for me.
I dont think it is 20%.... my husband is one of those amazing people we all envy... he can eat rubbish all day long (and he does) but doesnt put on weight (he burns it off quickly) infact he finds it hard to maintain a good weight... i on the other hand can put on weight eating a carrot a day. I am not exaggerating there! I am on less than 400 cals a day. Breastfeeding. I exercise and am active... still cant lose the weight like other people seem to be able to! I ate healthily before i became diabetic. I now eat 1 meal a day and only now is the weight slowly (extremely slowly) starting to peal off.

We cant judge people by what happens to us... not all fat people are diabetic (or become diabetic) and not all diabetic people are fat! There are people A LOT bigger than me who dont have diabetes.

I am glad in a way that i got it now... because the lchf diet has halped me with a better life, getting rid of the symptoms of fatigue, thirst and hunger and allowing me to be the mum i always wanted to be. I would now however like NOT to be diabetic any more. I look at diabetes as an after affect of decades of eating a food i am intollerant to... carbs. Same as celiac desease... if you eat what your body cant handle sooner or later you will know about it.

My body was not designed to accept carbs and i have to accept that.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dont think it is 20%.... my husband is one of those amazing people we all envy... he can eat rubbish all day long (and he does) but doesnt put on weight (he burns it off quickly) infact he finds it hard to maintain a good weight... i on the other hand can put on weight eating a carrot a day. I am not exaggerating there! I am on less than 400 cals a day. Breastfeeding. I exercise and am active... still cant lose the weight like other people seem to be able to! I ate healthily before i became diabetic. I now eat 1 meal a day and only now is the weight slowly (extremely slowly) starting to peal off.

We cant judge people by what happens to us... not all fat people are diabetic (or become diabetic) and not all diabetic people are fat! There are people A LOT bigger than me who dont have diabetes.

I am glad in a way that i got it now... because the lchf diet has halped me with a better life, getting rid of the symptoms of fatigue, thirst and hunger and allowing me to be the mum i always wanted to be. I would now however like NOT to be diabetic any more. I look at diabetes as an after affect of decades of eating a food i am intollerant to... carbs. Same as celiac desease... if you eat what your body cant handle sooner or later you will know about it.

My body was not designed to accept carbs and i have to accept that.

The official figure is around 80% of type 2 diabetics are obese.
Many, if not near enough 100% of the world eats carbs, not all develop diabetes.
I certainly over ate everything, so I'm firmly an obese diabetic, in the official 80%.

However, the good news for me was I could become a reversed diabetic, and eat a reasonable amount of carbs again by losing weight, so fairly confident it was the extra weight, and not the carbs. My body seemingly was designed to eat anything, just in a reasonable quantity.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The official figure is around 80% of type 2 diabetics are obese.
Many, if not near enough 100% of the world eats carbs, not all develop diabetes.
I certainly over ate everything, so I'm firmly an obese diabetic, in the official 80%.

However, the good news for me was I could become a reversed diabetic, and eat a reasonable amount of carbs again by losing weight, so fairly confident it was the extra weight, and not the carbs. My body seemingly was designed to eat anything, just in a reasonable quantity.
What we are trying to say is this and i hope you understand... just because you are obese doesnt mean that if you lose the weight you will become non diabetic thats no.1. Taring every one with the same brush is hurtful and wrong... i am obese (or was) but didnt get diabetes because of weight but a combination of the implant and steriods. It hurts to be told lose the weight and you will be well again! You wont be. I am a pessimist but this is the truth as if what you are saying is the truth the nhs would operate on all obese people and diabetes will be no more! This is not the case... i also see a lot of people eat like you of way too many carbs who are 30+ stone and non diabetic... there is no "one size fits all" in diabetes. I do wish you well and do think you can control your blood sugars, but i dont believe you will be cured for the pure and simple fact that as you say it comes back... well when you went back to eating carbs were you still testing your blood sugars regularly? An intolerance to carbs means your body reacts to it differently, without intollerance to the carbs your pancreas would not struggle and shut down causing high blood sugar, the over weight people who dont develop diabetes have a bigger but normally functioning pancreas where the beta cells are able to keep up, ours just die. I can get back to a "normal" functioning pancreas... but the moment i start eating carbs i will be damaging my pancreas again and it will only be a matter of time before it re surfaces again, that is whether i gain weight or not.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What we are trying to say is this and i hope you understand... just because you are obese doesnt mean that if you lose the weight you will become non diabetic thats no.1. Taring every one with the same brush is hurtful and wrong... i am obese (or was) but didnt get diabetes because of weight but a combination of the implant and steriods. It hurts to be told lose the weight and you will be well again! You wont be. I am a pessimist but this is the truth as if what you are saying is the truth the nhs would operate on all obese people and diabetes will be no more! This is not the case... i also see a lot of people eat like you of way too many carbs who are 30+ stone and non diabetic... there is no "one size fits all" in diabetes. I do wish you well and do think you can control your blood sugars, but i dont believe you will be cured for the pure and simple fact that as you say it comes back... well when you went back to eating carbs were you still testing your blood sugars regularly? An intolerance to carbs means your body reacts to it differently, without intollerance to the carbs your pancreas would not struggle and shut down causing high blood sugar, the over weight people who dont develop diabetes have a bigger but normally functioning pancreas where the beta cells are able to keep up, ours just die. I can get back to a "normal" functioning pancreas... but the moment i start eating carbs i will be damaging my pancreas again and it will only be a matter of time before it re surfaces again, that is whether i gain weight or not.

But for some, if you do lose weight, you can put diabetes into remission.

It's not always about carbs, and worth trying for those who have developed diabetes because of obesity.

welsh-judy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got it from steroids!!!
Me too,trying to sort it out by diet but can't find any info of what else to do.I see the diabetic nurse in a few months time. Also get symptoms from the steroids but trying to get a doctor to say oh that's your steroids or that's your diabetes gets no where.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My GP told me that although I am in remission that the steroids I have to take will always drive my blood sugars and push me towards weight gain if I relax my control as it is likely that I can never come off steroids he thinks it's a matter of finding a balance so he recommends keeping to a low carb diet and if I do that diabetes will no longer present any problems for me.

But I never have stopped eating some carbs as low carbs does not mean no carbs so it is possible to lose the weight control blood sugars and gain remission even while taking steroids.