Am I??

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I've been told by my GSL ( Group a Scout Leader, I'm a beaver leader).

That I can sleep out in the corridor, so I don't upset my beavers, who know I'm on a pump and loved that I showed them how it works, just in case I hypo, but he wants me to sleep next the electricity cupboard that I could put my fist throu as thin wood. If I am hypo, and could not be found till the next morning.Am I being discriminated against?? Need help, but thinking I need to hand my warrant back, due to this treatment.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Oh Julie, that sounds like an awful way to treat you :( I don't know what to advise, but wish you well.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

PS - it does sound like discrimination to me as you are being singled due to your medical condition. Maybe this guy is just ignorant and needs you to explain to him about the potential consequences of you sleeping alone. Don't do anything hasty.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think he has a hard time accepting a medical condition and he is projecting his feelings onto the kids, because kids are intrigued with pumps and stuff and wouldn't have an issue
I would try and sort it out with the GSL but if not, advise the GSL that you feel that the decision 'may be' discriminatory and isn't in your best interest and that you would like to have a joint meeting and it reviewed with [his boss] be as sweet as you can but make sure it goes to the boss. Who may have more sense and as soon as someone says discrimination ears prick up and attention is given

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks guys, I forgot to mention the GSL, is a type2 diabetic, which made me feel even worse :(

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
huh? you have to sleep out in the corridor? for real? am i missing something here? this is nuts, get a heavy object and hit him with it!

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a Mum, I am a bit worried about his own intentions towards the beavers

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lol Andy ;). Zand he sleeps in the first aid room, and my hubby is far from happy.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So who will be with the kids? and what does he know about t1? take it you dont have any t1 beavers?

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
2 assistant leaders, would be in with the beavers. And no we don't Engineer. He is the district first aider, so probably not a lot.