Amazing & Awesome Avocados.

• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah!! Now I see it. Thank you @Tipetoo. That woman makes it all look so easy.
Yes, I have tried that knife trick - but never with such a LARGE 'cleaver'. (I have one of those, but can't remember what they're called) Easy to see why folks end up in A&E :rolleyes:

Why is it that mine never come out that smoothly ......

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kristin, seems ages since I posted here, hope you're doing ok. Sadly, I haven't had many avos recently, (quality a bit off) so have been covering the gap with extra mayo, olives and EVOO; good enough, but not quite the same.

I can't quite visualise the 'whack the pip' - never tried it; knowing me, I'd likely get the avo splattered all over the counter!

Too much bourbon!! :wideyed: Hope you enjoyed it :D:D (I agree about the brown, it surely does seem that once that starts it goes off faster)
What mayo do you use? I always think it’s not the healthiest fat but I’m a mayo junky. Feels better than EVOO. Been using a little ghee in broth with sea salt and feels good.

My Avos have been good. Except when they sit over night sonjust popping one in the morning. Rest goes to hubby. He doesn’t care but I do....

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What mayo do you use? I always think it’s not the healthiest fat but I’m a mayo junky. Feels better than EVOO. Been using a little ghee in broth with sea salt and feels good.

My Avos have been good. Except when they sit over night sonjust popping one in the morning. Rest goes to hubby. He doesn’t care but I do....

It has to be Hellmann's - love it. You're right; it's probably not the healthiest but that doesn't stop me eating far too much!

Same as you, my avos never get to last overnight, except on the odd occasion when I forget to finish one off at dinner. (your hubby can have mine as well, coz by the time the brown has been scraped off there's not much left that's edible!)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Help !!The News has just reported that lots of Avocados have been destroyed in California in the wildfires
CAROL

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It has to be Hellmann's - love it. You're right; it's probably not the healthiest but that doesn't stop me eating far too much!

Same as you, my avos never get to last overnight, except on the odd occasion when I forget to finish one off at dinner. (your hubby can have mine as well, coz by the time the brown has been scraped off there's not much left that's edible!)
Mine is just like hellmanns but with non gmo expeller pressed canola oil. Our Hellmanns is soy oil!
Some days I eat it at all three meals and as a dip for snack. Bf wrap with turkey or egg salad. Mayo. Lunch chicken or turkey salad, mayo. Dinner salamon or tuna salad. Mayo !! I even love dipping cold lamb chops in it ! Ridiculous. And I’m not shy about portions.

I’d rather bin the brown ones too. They’re cheap now so I don’t care but when they were expensive, and seemingly when they weren’t all that good, i wasn’t happy.

Help !!The News has just reported that lots of Avocados have been destroyed in California in the wildfires
CAROL
I know you have to be kidding! Well mine come from MX and if I run out I’m going to have @Tipetoo send me some!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
CAROL

Oh dear! That'll put the price up again for our American cousins. Probably won't affect us too much as we don't seem to get Californian ones where I am. On the otherhand, could affect prices everywhere, because of shortages!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is just like hellmanns but with non gmo expeller pressed canola oil. Our Hellmanns is soy oil!
Some days I eat it at all three meals and as a dip for snack. Bf wrap with turkey or egg salad. Mayo. Lunch chicken or turkey salad, mayo. Dinner salamon or tuna salad. Mayo !! I even love dipping cold lamb chops in it ! Ridiculous. And I’m not shy about portions.

I’d rather bin the brown ones too. They’re cheap now so I don’t care but when they were expensive, and seemingly when they weren’t all that good, i wasn’t happy.

Ours is made from rapeseed oil. Not sure whether that's good or not (hear mixed messages about rapeseed's ok/not ok).

Blimey, you weren't kidding about mayo junky! All power to you - it obviously works fine!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ours is made from rapeseed oil. Not sure whether that's good or not (hear mixed messages about rapeseed's ok/not ok).

Blimey, you weren't kidding about mayo junky! All power to you - it obviously works fine!!
I agree. I hear good and bad. Canola is supposed to be rapeseed with all the weird stuff taken out. And non gmo is always good and expeller pressed means it wasn’t chemically extracted so good again

I’m trying to use other fats. Added ghee to broth in the morning in exchange for coffee. Not overly fond of EVOO on cold proteins, I can only eat so many nuts, there’s avo but it is still a carb. I don’t like heavy animal fats like bacon grease, chicken skins. So mayo it is!!!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. I hear good and bad. Canola is supposed to be rapeseed with all the weird stuff taken out. And non gmo is always good and expeller pressed means it wasn’t chemically extracted so good again

I’m trying to use other fats. Added ghee to broth in the morning in exchange for coffee. Not overly fond of EVOO on cold proteins, I can only eat so many nuts, there’s avo but it is still a carb. I don’t like heavy animal fats like bacon grease, chicken skins. So mayo it is!!!

It's much the same for me, trying to find fats in other foods so that I can get a little bit of variety. I don't mind having the same sorts of foods frequently, but there's only so much fish that one can eat. Haven't tried ghee in broth, so might pinch that idea and give it a go.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's much the same for me, trying to find fats in other foods so that I can get a little bit of variety. I don't mind having the same sorts of foods frequently, but there's only so much fish that one can eat. Haven't tried ghee in broth, so might pinch that idea and give it a go.
Perfect replacement for coffee. Kind of like a rich soup base. Actually now thinking about it it would make a rich soup base! I found one I love that’s very different than all others. It’s called 4th & heart. I get the lightly salted but they have vanilla too. Just vanilla beans. It’s made from Australian grass fed cows. Available on Amazon

Reactions: Salvia

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to West Australia for the xmas holiday, my family there, say's there are plenty of West Oz grown avo's in the shops.

Hmmm! 21 pages. :D
Yip yip. And I don’t see an end in the near future. This thread is always so friendly, light and fluffy. Nice change of pace !!

I’ll be packing my avos for my trip and stockings up there so I have ripe ar home.

Let’s see. Xmas dinner is lamb with choice of mushroom garlic herbed gravy or horseradish sauce. Plain as well. Rossted asp and Brussels and rosemary sweet potato. Salad. I’ll have my avo
Next night chicken salad with avo
Next night salmon salad with avo slices and salsa dressing.
Next night Cobb salad with avo

Who planned the menu??? Lol.
My hubby brother and mother love them. Not so much my dad but he doesn’t have to have it. More for me.

D

Deleted member 308541

We normally have a cold lunch and dinner at xmas, just too hot to be cooking indoors.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm! 21 pages. :D

And every one a winner! It's become a matter of pride now, to keep it going.

Yip yip. And I don’t see an end in the near future. This thread is always so friendly, light and fluffy. Nice change of pace !!

Totally agree. A welcome relief from the ofttimes fraught discussions elsewhere.
Plus, as a bonus, you can get some great ideas.

Reactions: Kristin251
D

Deleted member 308541

And every one a winner! It's become a matter of pride now, to keep it going.

Totally agree. A welcome relief from the ofttimes fraught discussions elsewhere.
Plus, as a bonus, you can get some great ideas.
I agree with both of those statements, it's nice to just chat without the backbiting that does go on in some threads here.

Reactions: Salvia

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondered if any of us avo nuts have had to go to A&E with a sliced hand from removing a stone ?
CAROL

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nah, that's the amateur avocadoists. We have far too much expertise! :)