1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Amazing visit to GP

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Goonergal, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Dexterdobe

Dexterdobe Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You are indeed lucky to have such an enlightened GP.
    I was offered an HBa1c test at the hospital when they found glucose in my urine when testing me for something else.
    When I went to see my GP for the results, it took him a while to find them. "Ah." He said at last. "The result is 53. You have type2 diabetes. You need to exercise a lot more and lose weight. With luck you will get the number down and you won't need medication for some time. But it's a progressive condition, so you will probably need medication at some point, but hopefully not insulin injections. We will have to see. I'll make an appointment for you to see the DN and she will arrange for you to have eye tests and check your feet etc. With luck you won't get serious complications. Go away and lose weight and take lots of walks. And try not to worry. We'll repeat your test in three months"
    And that was it. I saw the DN a week later and she told me to eat a balanced diet with lots of 'good' foods. By then I had done lots of research and found this site.

Given that diabetes is rapidly becoming the 21st century equivalent of the plague, you would think that the NHS would be a tad more supportive wouldn't you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Paul520785

Paul520785 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am so jealous of you with a helpful diabetes knowledgeable GP.
    Stick with it !

My surgery has changed every GP at least once in the last 8 months and I have not seen the same doctor twice in about 2 years

Paul T1 for 60 years this summer!
    My logic - I must be getting it right because I am still here!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. singsteve

singsteve · Active Member

agree with you from many years experience. In med school, it was only ever mentioned in terms of the anatomical players in the process and not how to deal with it other than medication. The worst that we often refer in our lectures was the advice given to a man with high cholesterol which was ' avoid tomato sauce' and take these statins daily.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. lowedb

lowedb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It seems it is getting there, in some practices. 14 months ago when diagnosed I had the standard 'it's progressive, you will die' from a GP, and not much better from the DN. But another GP told me about LC. She was right. Just over a year in I'm off Gliclazide and have lost weight. There's a new DN who I saw last week and who told me how well I was doing, and how lucky the practise were that the GP I saw knew about LC and how it was helping people. Today I saw a new GP at the practise who actually talked about curing diabetes (yes curing Vs properly controlling) and clearly is with the programme. While overall the practise is very 20th century, I'm glad in terms of diabetes advise they are properly in this decade!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. jayney27

jayney27 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Well done on your success to date and good luck at the consultations :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook