Ammonia smell?

mcdougall86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone! I am currently on high dose steroids and have been diagnosed with steroid induced diabetes. Currently there's no guarantee about whether or not it will go when I come off the steroids or whether I will be diabetic for life. Because of the uncertainty I am obviously trying to do my best to manage my blood sugars while I am on the steroids in order to give myself the best chance of recovery to my normal levels when I come off them.

I've lost 2 stone in the last two months and have been following a moderately low carb diet (around 70-120g of carbs a day depending on the day). My blood sugars have become really stable, which is great, but I've noticed a faint smell of ammonia on my body/sweat since I've been low-carbing. The internet is a minefield when you google this, and tells me I'm either dying of liver disease or that it's a normal part of a low carb diet. I wondered if any of you had experienced this? I don't feel unwell and I'm hydrated enough. I do have a very strong sense of smell and no one else can smell it unless I've literally just exercised and even then they have to sniff my skin to get a whiff! So it's not a very strong smell but it is there. Any input on this?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @mcdougall86 and welcome to the forum. That sounds familiar and is likely to be a signal that you have ketones/are in ketosis. At this point, you could really do with getting your hands on some ketone testing blood strips (these are more reliable than urine) and checking your levels.

As long as your glucose levels are okay, and your ketone levels are not too elevated, then everything could be normal, but, your weight loss is pretty high if you weren't starting from a high weight.

fat-as-a-health-food-benefits-course-corrections-during-a-year-of-tracking-ketosis-19-638.jpg

If you have any concerns, the best advice is always to see your GP.

mcdougall86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your reply!

My blood glucose levels have been good, and I don't have any other symptoms of my ketones being too high but I will definitely investigate the blood testing strips. I see my GP regularly so I will mention this. From my quick googling it did seem as if it was fairly normal for a low carb diet, but it's always good to ask others who might have experienced it too. My diet isn't extremely low carb and I'm still getting lots of veggies and fibre etc., I've just essentially cut out bread, rice, pasta etc as they were really causing my blood sugar levels to rise and I've noticed a dramatic drop since I started watching my carbs. Really hoping to reverse this when I come off the steroids!

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Unless you were at risk of diabetes before taking steroids then there is every chance when you finish the course your diabetes will fade away. I also have steroid induced diabetes but I have been on steroids years and will in all probability be unable to come of them ever. But since going low carb high fat and reducing my calorific intake I have lost 7 St and brought my blood sugars into normal range so don't be disheartened by the prospect that you may have diabetes long term you can still do something about it.

As to the smell of ammonia I can't say I have noticed it. And maybe those around me have been to polite to mention it, but it does; as has been said sound like Ketosis, and may be best to check.

mcdougall86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was, unfortunately, at risk before - Family risk as well as being overweight and having a bad diet. However I have been working so hard to change as much of that as I can! And given that I'm still on a fairly high dose of steroids and have managed to see such a significant drop in blood sugars so quickly I have some confidence that it will go away. My first week on the steroids my blood sugar levels were getting as high as 28! I'm now sitting between 6 and 9, so it's been a dramatic drop in 6 weeks. I'm not too concerned about the smell because my blood sugars are so stable, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it if it gets worse and/or my blood sugars rise.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do hope that when you stop taking steroids it goes away so best of luck.

John