Aneurin Bevan Health Board

Gareth689

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, just wondering if there are any pump users on here within the Aneurin Bevan area (Newport) that could share your experience on getting a pump?

I’ve just been referred to the consultant that deals with the pumps, having been told by my previous consultant that I would be a good candidate

Was just wondering how anyone else’s experience was and timescales etc. The omnipod was discussed at my last clinic appointment.

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Gareth689 and welcome to the forum. I have been under a dietitian for the past 2 1/2 or 3 years and have just been approved for a pump. That was 2 1/2 months ago. I have been moved from Prof. Evans over to Dr Oboubie. I am still waiting for the appointment. I email Karen Mahone (Dietitian) every week asking her to chase up the appointment for me. So by getting on peoples nerves I am hoping to get my appointment soon? BUT I have been bugging the dietitian for 6 months with the pump now. I have waited over 46 years for one so a few more months wont hurt :)

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Gareth689

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did have an appointment with DR Obuobie approx 5 years ago when I first enquired and was placed on the carb counting course but never followed it up after that. I have an appointment at the pump clinic at the end of sept and was just wondering what the process is following this.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I did have an appointment with DR Obuobie approx 5 years ago when I first enquired and was placed on the carb counting course but never followed it up after that. I have an appointment at the pump clinic at the end of sept and was just wondering what the process is following this.
Hopefully I will have a similar appointment. I have already completed the DAFID course and been moved over to Fiasp insulin and being prescribed the Freestyle Libre. Just a waiting game for me now

Gareth689

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully I will have a similar appointment. I have already completed the DAFID course and been moved over to Fiasp insulin and being prescribed the Freestyle Libre. Just a waiting game for me now

It did take a lot of chasing from me to get an appointment. I was referred to pump clinic at beginning of July, and have been chasing ever since! Try calling the booking clerk, might take several attempts but I finally spoke to a lady that was very helpful and booked the appointment.

How are you finding fiasp? It’s somethinng I want to consider trying hoping it might help with post meal/snack spikes! But have read that it stings and I’m currently injecting in excess of 8-10 times a day so if that’s the case wouldn’t want even more pain!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
It did take a lot of chasing from me to get an appointment. I was referred to pump clinic at beginning of July, and have been chasing ever since! Try calling the booking clerk, might take several attempts but I finally spoke to a lady that was very helpful and booked the appointment.

How are you finding fiasp? It’s somethinng I want to consider trying hoping it might help with post meal/snack spikes! But have read that it stings and I’m currently injecting in excess of 8-10 times a day so if that’s the case wouldn’t want even more pain!
Fiasp doesn't sting at all, not even straight out of the fridge. It is VERY fast acting. Hardly getting any post meal spikes. I have no number for Dr Obuobie secretary so can't even phone to chase an appointment up.

Gareth689

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you know how to start a private message? I can’t find it but have a number I can send to you

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi Check the Nice guidelines for a pump and also your hospital guiidelines so you can discuss how you fit criteria or evidence if needed.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Do you know how to start a private message? I can’t find it but have a number I can send to you
Thank you for the PM. Will be in the case Monday