Type 1 Anger and Diabetes

Bails112

Hi all, I’ve been experiencing rages of anger recently, this week it’s been really bad, I don’t know what is causing it but I just get random outbursts of anger and take it out on my partner, I never used to suffer with this but it’s like I can’t stop my self I will call him stuff and I’m just wondering if anger is linked with Diabetes? I’ve searched it up and it’s coming up with something called diabetic rage, I am starting to notice it sometimes starts off when I have missed a meal as I’ve been too busy. I feel like I need to go to the doctors but I feel too embarrassed. I also forgot to mention I am only 18 so it could possibly be hormonal but I’m still not quite sure.

D

Deleted Account

What is your BG like when you get these rages?
I have read rage can be a symptom of hypos which could happen when you miss a meal.
If this is the case, you may need to reduce your basal insulin a little.
... or keep a snack in your bag for times when you have been too busy for a meal.

K

Knikki

I agree with @helensaramay check your blood sugars and if you have missed a meal it might be a possible hypo?

True story, Mrs Knikki used to work with a lady who's husband was a T1D and when he hypoed he would say and call her all sorts of things and it was difficult for her to help him. Once he had recovered he had no memory of it and was obviously very apologetic to her.

They moved to France and as far as I know still married :)

Bails112

What is your BG like when you get these rages?
I have read rage can be a symptom of hypos which could happen when you miss a meal.
If this is the case, you may need to reduce your basal insulin a little.
... or keep a snack in your bag for times when you have been too busy for a meal.
Yes I’ve been told low blood sugar can cause anger rages but my blood has been normal when I’ve had these rages I’ve noticed stress makes me blood shoot up as well and I suffer with anxiety so it’s just a bad combo all together. It’s the slightest things what set me off then I will start thinking about other problems and it all just gets too much.

Reactions: kitedoc

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I’ve been told low blood sugar can cause anger rages but my blood has been normal when I’ve had these rages I’ve noticed stress makes me blood shoot up as well and I suffer with anxiety so it’s just a bad combo all together. It’s the slightest things what set me off then I will start thinking about other problems and it all just gets too much.
My wife tells me I get short tempered and generally obnoxious when my levels are high... Conversely she doesn't notice a difference when I'm low. I like to think that's not because I'm just plain unpleasant the rest of the time!

Shiba.

Steve978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant lazy selfish humans .
Interesting this explains so much to me,I get so irritable when my levels are high but when they are low I feel ill and shaky.

Steve

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
My wife tells me I get short tempered and generally obnoxious when my levels are high... Conversely she doesn't notice a difference when I'm low. I like to think that's not because I'm just plain unpleasant the rest of the time!

Shiba.
Hi @Shiba Park I find the mood swings in diabetes fascinating. The body is a collection of chemical and electrical interactions. If we are depressed serotonin levels need boosting. The brain also needs glucose to function. All this is brought about by what should be precise reactions in our systems. With diabetes there is the problem of controlling the blood glucose at all times, but this an be affected by adrenaline, or sudden calls on energy. I don't find it surprising that diabetes can cause mood swings at each end of the spectrum. Certainly, when I was Type 1, I would want to hide from others when my level was high, or I could flare up at the drop of a hat. Equally I could behave similarly when low. In fact my "normal sunny mood" would be a good indicator to my family. If it vanished, they would suggest I test, sometimes causing even more fumes! I bet your wife's a saint!

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin