1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Anger and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Bails112, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Bails112

Bails112 · Member

Hi all, I’ve been experiencing rages of anger recently, this week it’s been really bad, I don’t know what is causing it but I just get random outbursts of anger and take it out on my partner, I never used to suffer with this but it’s like I can’t stop my self I will call him stuff and I’m just wondering if anger is linked with Diabetes? I’ve searched it up and it’s coming up with something called diabetic rage, I am starting to notice it sometimes starts off when I have missed a meal as I’ve been too busy. I feel like I need to go to the doctors but I feel too embarrassed. I also forgot to mention I am only 18 so it could possibly be hormonal but I’m still not quite sure.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

What is your BG like when you get these rages?
    I have read rage can be a symptom of hypos which could happen when you miss a meal.
    If this is the case, you may need to reduce your basal insulin a little.
    ... or keep a snack in your bag for times when you have been too busy for a meal.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

I agree with @helensaramay check your blood sugars and if you have missed a meal it might be a possible hypo?

True story, Mrs Knikki used to work with a lady who's husband was a T1D and when he hypoed he would say and call her all sorts of things and it was difficult for her to help him. Once he had recovered he had no memory of it and was obviously very apologetic to her.

They moved to France and as far as I know still married :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bails112

Bails112 · Member

Yes I’ve been told low blood sugar can cause anger rages but my blood has been normal when I’ve had these rages I’ve noticed stress makes me blood shoot up as well and I suffer with anxiety so it’s just a bad combo all together. It’s the slightest things what set me off then I will start thinking about other problems and it all just gets too much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shiba Park

Shiba Park Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My wife tells me I get short tempered and generally obnoxious when my levels are high... Conversely she doesn't notice a difference when I'm low. I like to think that's not because I'm just plain unpleasant the rest of the time!

Shiba.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Steve978

Steve978 Type 2 · Member

Interesting this explains so much to me,I get so irritable when my levels are high but when they are low I feel ill and shaky.

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi @Shiba Park I find the mood swings in diabetes fascinating. The body is a collection of chemical and electrical interactions. If we are depressed serotonin levels need boosting. The brain also needs glucose to function. All this is brought about by what should be precise reactions in our systems. With diabetes there is the problem of controlling the blood glucose at all times, but this an be affected by adrenaline, or sudden calls on energy. I don't find it surprising that diabetes can cause mood swings at each end of the spectrum. Certainly, when I was Type 1, I would want to hide from others when my level was high, or I could flare up at the drop of a hat. Equally I could behave similarly when low. In fact my "normal sunny mood" would be a good indicator to my family. If it vanished, they would suggest I test, sometimes causing even more fumes! I bet your wife's a saint!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shiba Park

Shiba Park Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That and avoiding loud/harsh sounds.

Is it just me that feels really irritated when they're right?

Shhhh! I can't let her hear that!

Shiba.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook