Type 2 Anger? Does it increase blood sugar?

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a very frustrating argument with my
Daughter tonight, so much so I forgot to take a reading pre food. After food it was 10.5, normally I would expect 7,5. Is it just one of those things or does emotional state have an effect?

Reactions: Antje77
D

Deleted member 543160

Indeed it can! Out of curosity I checked my glucose once after a rather heated row with my husband, result: nearly double my normal levels.

AFAIK any sort of stress - good or bad - can affect us in this way. Food isn't by any means the only thing that impacts on our glucose levels, unfortunately! And most of my higher readings tend to be due to non-food issues...

Last edited by a moderator:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Daughter tonight, so much so I forgot to take a reading pre food. After food it was 10.5, normally I would expect 7,5. Is it just one of those things or does emotional state have an effect?

Absolutely yes, perfectly normal. When the body gets stressed no matter how or by what, it shoots out adrenaline and cortisol (stress hormones) and our bodies very helpfully release glucose to provide us with the extra energy for 'fight or flight'.

Reactions: Numan

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely all works together tin “interesting” ways

For me it works the other way too, heightened blood sugars increases my emotional state, especially anger

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, that makes the readings more understandable. Thankfully it’s very rare we argue, but that’s another thing I’ve got to avoid

finzi1966

Absolutely yes for me. And it doesn’t even has to be massive stress. Just things like waiting for and getting on a train…being rather busier than I’d like and feeling I’m getting behind…a tense situation at work. Not talking huge, huge spikes but maybe 2-3mmol for an hour or so.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, that makes the readings more understandable. Thankfully it’s very rare we argue, but that’s another thing I’ve got to avoid

Aw Numan, you have to live! We can't creep around silently or sit in a darkened room just to stop our pulse going up! :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just spend time here every day no one gets angry here.:)