Animal Insulin in Pump

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am thinking of going onto Animal Insulin but wasn't sure if it could be used in my pump. I'm pleased to say IT CAN!

IDDT continues to receive quite a few queries about whether or not pork insulin can be used in a pump and the answer is: yes it can and IDDT has members who do!
Sadly people are often misinformed and told that they have to use GM insulins if they want to use pump. Not so and it is worth remembering that when pumps were developed, the only available insulins were animal insulins!
In the UK, the available short-acting insulins are:

Pork Actrapid made by Novo Nordisk Pharmaceuticals Ltd [vials only
Hypurin Porcine Neutral made by CP Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Hypurin Bovine Neutral made by CP Pharmaceuticals Ltd

just thought i'd add this post to make others aware. i guess the only thing is as it acts slower then your basals will have to be adjusted accordingly.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I was reliably informed here that as long as the insulin has a phosphate buffer it can be used in a pump, something to do with preventing precipitation in the infusion set.

Any particular reason for considering this change? I thought about it too in the hope of regaining some hypo awareness (a reported benefit), however the evidence turns out to be purely circumstantial. But I know some have allergy issues prompting similar moves back to animal...

Basal levels may change using a different type of insulin, but not as a response to the longer reaction time. The basal pattern over a 24 hour period will most likely remain the same, albeit with different timings. You'd definitely have to allow for the delay when administering meal boluses though. I'm also not nearly organised (or patient) enough to wait 30 minutes before tucking in! :wink: