Ankle and Finger "locking" after injecting

Eccles66

Occasionally, my ankles or fingers "Lock up", shortly after injecting. I don't know how else to describe it. They go rigid, usually at the most strange angles and they will not move, sometimes for several minutes. It is extremely painful. Then they just relax and all is OK again.

I am on 50 units Levemir, twice a day and 25 units Novorapid, pre-meal.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? Or, suggestions?

Thanks

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Eccles66, I have had some fingers lock up in the past. This would happen if I closed (flexed) the offending finger or two such as to hold a syringe or squeeze a soft ball. It was painful as the fingers clicked into this locked position and I had to use my other hand to unlock the fingers. As this unlocking happened there was a sharp pain in the palm of my hand.
I was told this condition is called trigger finger because the the way the finger once starting to bend sort of clicks or triggers into the locked closed position.
Tendons are like slippery ropes running from muscles up in the palm-side of the forearm down through a tunnel * in the wrist across the palm to each finger. Along the way there are these 'pulleys' made of loops of tough tissue which guide the tendons on their way. What happens is that a swelling develops in a tendon, somehow related often to having diabetes. That swelling may grow until as the tendon slides the swelling gets stuck at the pulley. With some extra effort the swelling slips through suddenly producing the triggering, You are bending the finger and it clicks through suddenly (triggers) and then once through the swelling resists going back the other way through the pulley. You may be able to use the finger opening tendons which run along the other side of the fingers (opposite the palm) to pull the tendon swelling back through but the muscles for these tendons are not as strong you often need to use the other hand to force the finger and tendon to straighten. The passage of the swelling back through the pulley hurts like blazes !!!
I suspect that maybe a similar thing is happening with your ankle tendons. Maybe at injection time you are bending your ankle/s in anticipation of the injection 'ouch' or as part of your routine. Like a soccer player has a set of movements before he kicks for a penalty goal.
The best bet I think is to see your doctor. Your trouble maybe caused by something different.
With me, once the triggering became uncomfortable enough and I got tired of releasing the two fingers from gripping the car steering wheel a surgeon kindly snipped the pulleys, one for each offending finger. The recovery time was about 2 weeks. The area stings for a while after operation and I was keen to keep the finger moving so that it would not get stuck!!
And just to mention that as well as the trigger fingers I also developed carpal tunnel syndrome which is where some other pesky tissue grows in that tunnel*, called the wrist or carpal tunnel mentioned above through the wrist area. Because the tunnel is restricted the swelling tissue puts pressure on the nerve that runs through there (the median nerve).
The typical symptoms for me were waking in the early hours with a gradually-increasing-over-months pain and tingling in my palm and palm side of my thumb, index, middle and the half of my ring finger closer to the middle finger. Pressure on the middle palm side of the wrist such as when holding a car steering wheel would set off the same numbness and pain. I needed to have the top part of the tunnel released and the extra tissue removed. If you have trigger fingers you might happen to develop the carpal tunnel syndrome as described above.
Best Wishes on a diagnosis and whatever is needed to solve the trouble. :):):)