Annoyed

Adrian1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Just thought I would update you on this one.

Having spent the last few days in hospital I have finally got a diagnosis for my pain. It took an ultrasound, CT scan and then finally an endoscopy ( mouth end) to find it.

I have a hiatus hernia. I'll let you do the googling but it is still causing me to feel rough. I feel full and sick most of the time. After all the fasting periods in hospital I have lost 1.2 since this started just over two weeks ago and starting to look drained at only 63kg.

I used to have a great appetite which has gone. I ate a jacket potato for dinner last night the size of a tennis ball and it felt like I was going to explode afterwards :(

I have been placed on some lanzoprole tablets that are some kind of anti acid. Looks like I have to change my diet a bit and cut of the things that make it worse and see how I get on. I have a follow up appointment in 3 months.

Adrian

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As frustrating as it's been, it must be a huge relief to have finally received a diagnosis?

One of the best things I found helpful for reflux was removing wheat and other grains from my diet. Hope you can sort out a diet that helps you.

Adrian1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As frustrating as it's been, it must be a huge relief to have finally received a diagnosis?

One of the best things I found helpful for reflux was removing wheat and other grains from my diet. Hope you can sort out a diet that helps you.

Yes it is a relief and now I can take the steps to reduce the symptoms.

I have a restricted diet at the moment as I am a coeliac , which means I don't eat wheat , oats and other gluten containing products. The advice given from the doctor in hospital was to cut out the high acid foods.

When I research hiatus hernia diets it mentions to avoid quite a lot of things to avoid such as dairy, caffeine and more.

Whilst I was in and out of hospital just the smallest amount of any food made me double up but now I'm home and taking the meds and watching what I eat I seem to have beat the pain.

I'm keeping a log of the foods I eat and hope to keep on top of it . The biggest thing is finding something to drink. I used to drink water , tea / coffee and sugar free orange squash but all these seen to be on the avoid list apart from the water.
There was mention to avoid mints and spices so I guess that rules out fruit/green teas :s

Adrian

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess a lot of any liquid would temporarily distend the stomach and tighten the hiatal hernia? Sounds like you have a lot of experimenting to do and adjustments to make. Possibly eating lots of small snacks rather than full meals would help, though that would make managing your insulin doses more difficult? Rats!

I personally find mint teas very soothing, though as with anything, it'll take experimentation to sort out. Apple cider vinegar seems to help my digestion as well.

Good luck with it all, Adrian.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it is a relief and now I can take the steps to reduce the symptoms.

Adrian
give the meds a while to klck in and you should feel ok
alcohol is the main one to watch out for, I find dairy and coffee ok.
stop reflux by raising bed head 4", house brick ok, it can actually get into your lung
you're a young man, get it operated on because it will trouble you for life

Adrian1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks again for the comments and yes a lot fb experimenting to do.

Good advice about raising the bed, I was told none of this when I left hospital. Not so keen to hear that it may trouble me for life. It's going to be difficult to get the nhs to operate as being admitted those 4 times in just over a week wasn't enough although as you say, give the meds time to kick in.

I guess that this isn't something that will just go away if i just take the meds?

Thanks again all.
Adrian