Annual Hba1c and cholesterol blood test

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I spoke to my GP about the retinopathy she said I needed to speak to DN who never bothered to phone me back. So on speaking to reception, they said I was due a review in October but couldn't fit me in and didn't have their December calendar!! I received a letter to book my review but obviously they need bloods done first. The phlebotomist is the easiest person to get an appointment with ;D!

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you? My practice DN retired and they don't appear to have bothered replacing her so blood tests are done by whichever phlebotomist is on and everything else is just the nurse assistant and a follow up phone call by GP which I don't think constitutes appropriate diabetic care as there's like opportunity for any in depth discussion about medication or latest advice.
Thats not good! I thought my care was a bit hit and miss but that's very poor care! Hope you manage to get something sorted soon.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When I spoke to my GP about the retinopathy she said I needed to speak to DN who never bothered to phone me back. So on speaking to reception, they said I was due a review in October but couldn't fit me in and didn't have their December calendar!! I received a letter to book my review but obviously they need bloods done first. The phlebotomist is the easiest person to get an appointment with ;D!

Make sure you do chase the retinopathy appointment up again, it's important that they monitor your eyes regularly when you've been told you have background retinopathy.

1207JRVL

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When first diagnosed 10 years ago I always had fasting blood tests which I could get done early morning prior to my review but in recent years they don't seem to bother about it. My blood is taken by the healthcare assistant and appointments only available in the afternoon so fasting for 12hours prior to test would be difficult. I have asked about fasting but always told not necessary but not sure I believe them when it comes to cholesterol results.

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make sure you do chase the retinopathy appointment up again, it's important that they monitor your eyes regularly when you've been told you have background retinopathy.

Hi Noblehead, they've said they don't want to see me until next year for my usual annual check :(. I'm gonna book an appointment with my opticians at the 6 month point and ask them to take photos and check it for me. [fingers crossed]!