Annual review

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my annual review including urine sample - the receptionist called saying the doctor who deals with diabetics was requesting another in 4 weeks time. I took the 2nd one and had a call today advising the doctor wants to speak to me. I can't speak to him until Friday morning. Does anyone know what they test for?

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a lot of things that could be tested with urine but if I was going to guess at one routine thing and it was your endocrinologist, it would be protein in urine. In one of the practices I went to, however, they would dip this test strip into the sample provided and it had about a dozen different little things on that one test strip. So it is kind of impossible to know unless you say what test strip got dipped into your sample. Even then, some tests done in urine, if they come up high or low, they retest with serum (blood)

They even just plain look at the urine. See this article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_urine_tests
Thanks for your reply. I spoke to my doctor today and I have protein in my urine so I have been put on Ramipril. I have also been given a monitor and the doctor wants to speak to me again in 4 weeks with my results.