1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Another Freestyle libre Issue. (Sickle cell trait)

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by NaijaChick, May 2, 2020.

1. NaijaChick

NaijaChick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Dia-tribe

I have a quick question that I know some of you will be best placed to answer.

What should the difference be in readings between the freestyle libre and a blood prick (I use my palms as a testing site)?

Last night the reader gave me a reading of 3.2 but I knew that wasn’t right so I FP and the reading was 5.9. I had a waking reading of 7.2 on my sensor this morning but FP showed 9.8.

I have a sickle cell trait that affects the shape of my blood cells and I have to have another truer test along with my HBA1C to give me a true indication of my diabetes management.

So I’m wondering is the differences in reading normal in the FSL or do I need to be concerned?

Thanks for reading and hopefully answering.

NC

2. Andy_Totnes_

Andy_Totnes_ Type 1 · Member

I find that happens with some sensors. Collect at least 3 results, include the date and time of the pairs of results (sensor and FP) and also the direction of the arrow for the sensor reading. Ring Abbott helpline and tell them. They should send you a replacement sensor with return packaging.
    Some sensors are just worse than others.
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook