1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Another NEW non finger prick BG testing meter....

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Omnipod, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Omnipod

Omnipod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  2. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't really understand this one....

3. Riri

Riri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Read all about it and it seems you have to pinch the skin to get a reading. I must say I don't fully understand how it works but it looks less hassle than the finger pricking. I've just emailed them about timing, cost etc.

4. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I've read it, but my engineers brain can't compute how the pinch can do it! Will be following the progression though for sure

5. LucySW

LucySW LADA · Well-Known Member

We'd still have to remember to do it though, and we wouldn't get a complete 24-hour picture of what's going on every 20 minutes.

Better than finger-sticking, but not as good as a CGM.

Says available late 2016.

6. TonyR

TonyR Parent · Newbie

I think there's a couple of devices being developed using this type of technology but I don't think any are available as yet. Guess it's something to look forward to in two to three years.

7. Loobles

Loobles Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I can understand how that would work, using a pinch - assuming that some kind of light is involved?

8. jackois

jackois Type 1 · Well-Known Member

9. AndyS

AndyS Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I recall seeing some research about using high frequency RF to measure blood glucose. I think this is meant to work on some kind of RF interferometry or some such thing. Nice to see it finally being developed and I suspect it will certainly be a lot more accurate than some of the light based systems since those could give readings all over the place due to changes in skin colour etc.

Will wait and see with this one I think, still nice to see something new :)

10. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

It will be more accurate as it measures capillary levels as opposed to interstitial fluid that the Abbott monitor measures.

Not too sure how safe the Radio-waves will be over the long-term, then I suppose we are exposed to these everyday form mobile phones and such like, hope (like the Flash Monitor) it does becomes available on the NHS.

• Like Like x 4
  11. -Artemis-

-Artemis- Type 1 · Well-Known Member

... I thought exactly the same thing about the radio waves noblehead... I guess it would be good to know how those frequencies compare to other day-to-day stuff...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 2
  12. AndyS

AndyS Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't see this being any more harmful than having a mobile phone in your pocket or a Bluetooth headset stuck to your ear.
    Ignoring of course those that swear blind that mobile phones cause cancer.

13. Hooked

Hooked · Guest

14. debbiiee

debbiiee · Well-Known Member

It appears very much similar to the pulsoximeter clipped in fingers... There infrared rays passing through the finger measures pulse! Here radiofrequency measures capillary glucose!!! Technology makes control easier & management better. Really excited about the day the fingerpricks come to an end:rolleyes:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 4
  15. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

ye
    s, saw this one a while ago, I was waiting for it to coem on the market, would be ideal in my line of work, avoiding needing to prick my fingers in mucky, horrid surroundings

16. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think it uses IR, there have been a few other attempts at it, including implanted sensors similar to CGM

17. Riri

Riri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Maybe if all T1's emailed these people/companies they'd get an idea of how desperate we are not having to do constant finger pricking. We're all looking for a panacea but this would be an enormous step forward too.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook