Another newbie- question about screening

RobsterinSheff

Dislikes
Type 2 diabetes; Hashimotos; English weather; arrogant and self centered people
Hi

diagnosed last week with HbA1C of 13.5: only presented at GP with serious symptoms in early may (thirst; urination; weight loss; fatigue) as they came on quite suddenly to a clearly perceptible extent- and I researched online.

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroid in 2004 (Endo said had been undiagnosed for a minimum of 5 years prior to that); poor cholesterol control (though on medication) and BMI hovering between 38 and 42 for a decade.

Despite all these ‘risk factors’ I was never once screened/ asked to do a GTT etc. I have had blood work done for TSH (thyroid) at least once a year during this period and the blood test form has a box for amongst other things blood glucose- a simple tick would have sufficed...

I guess one of my initial responses to being diagnosed is to be angry that I should have been screened and I was not! Anyone else effectively diagnosed by presenting themselves at the GP having researched their symptoms online: rather than via a annual screening that the NHS pages say is routine?

Thanks

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
yep. A quick google showed me I was daibetic. But took a few days before I went.