1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Another potential nail in LDL's coffin ?

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by librarising, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Safi

Safi Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Cheers for the reply @Oldvatr . Thing is I don't actually want or need to lose weight & have been steadily holding my current weight for years. I'm just worried that a) my cholesterol is too low (I'm a middle-aged woman & we apparently do better with higher cholesterol) & b) I'm not burning dietary fat as efficiently as I should be on a low carb diet.

It's entirely possible that I'm overthinking the whole thing :)

2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

IMHO if your weight is where you want it, and your BGL is also where you want it, then your diet regime is working fine, In which case it matters not a jot if you are fat burning or running on glucose - If it is working well then why change it? Your lipids are in the right place, and the HDL could perhaps rise a bit more since it is maybe a tad low, but it has risen since previous, so not a worry. Your body will try to make as much HDL as it feels it needs, so on a MF diet it is in the right ballpark, Perhaps upping the fat may take it up bit, but could also affect the other two which you do not want to rise much. I think you are needlessly worrying yourself, but others may feel able to contribute. The important one that is considered the marker for CVE risk is the trigs, TG which needs to be below 1.0 mmol/l for safety. The other two will rise and fall and their actual values are not so important. It is the ratio that is also of interest, and this is where I cannot advise since I do not have access to the target ratio considered to be best. This is new territory, so is not yet set in concrete, but seems to be better than the old Good CHO/ Bad CHO that has been the guidelines in the past.

3. Safi

Safi Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Thanks again @Oldvatr . I do remember doing the ratio calculations when I initially got the results & it all seemed to be in order so I'm not stressing about my numbers - just curious & hoping to better understand what (if anything!) it all means.

4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Thanks Dave.

5. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

As regards the change in pardigm over LDL then there are several videos linked on this site. The names Sikaris, Noakes, Breckenridge spring to mind so try these in the forum search facility. There are others, but those will do for a start and give good simple explanations.

It took me a while to accept the new way of looking at cholesterol, as it does stand our thinking on its head. There is also several discussions under the topic of statins but they can tend to get either very political or technical so this is another research field to explore.

LDL comes under the field of endocrinology, and it is a different body system than the glucose pathway that is associated with diabetes, so you need to wear a different hat.

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Can you explain why you think @Safi 's HDL is a tad low? It is 2.7. That is an excellent and ideal level.

7. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

My GP has set my target at 3,0 mmol/l but this is my personal control level, and may be due to my TC being higher.

8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

2.7 is still a high level and cannot be described as "a tad low". Mine hovers around 2.5, which delights my nurse.

9. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

https://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=x20030114211535665170

10. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

So shouldn't both be done? I've always thought that?
    Mine is always none fasting since insulin but fasting when not on it. None fasting in pregnancy too.
    Thyroid influences cholesterol too. Not just hereditary high ldls.

11. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

The problem is that the presence of chylomicrons that follow soon after a meal distorts the result given by the formula. Fasting ensures that these have been used up when the blood is drawn. This is why having a cuppa in the morning invalidates the test if it has milk in it.

The 46% that is in the formula represents an estimation for the amount of VLDL in the sample so this is subtracted to give the remnant trigs that are too small to be viable cholesterol. i.e. sLDL and free acid radicals.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook