Another wake up call at my prosthetic centre

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've widely spoken about I lost my leg left above the knee to cancer when I was 19. And how the thought of diabetes complications scare the heck out of me.

Today at my Limb Centre I met the first guy since I was diagnosed who has lost his leg through diabetes. He told me his control was useless and for years he ignored it and ate what he wanted, didn't worry about exercise or losing weight. He greatly regrets it now. Quite forcibly told me I had to retain control and manage the condition.

Yet another personal wake up for me about this condition. Look after your feet! Keep control :)

Reactions: 7 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At least he learnt even if it was a little late, my hubby was in hospital a couple of years ago for an op - the guy in the next bed had just had his leg off because of diabetic complications - he refused his meal said his son was bringing lunch in - hubby thought sensible guy probably getting a low carb meal - 2 large pork pies and a full packet of scotch pancakes later courtesy of his son - and a mars bar for his afternoon cuppa :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At least he learnt even if it was a little late, my hubby was in hospital a couple of years ago for an op - the guy in the next bed had just had his leg off because of diabetic complications - he refused his meal said his son was bringing lunch in - hubby thought sensible guy probably getting a low carb meal - 2 large pork pies and a full packet of scotch pancakes later courtesy of his son - and a mars bar for his afternoon cuppa :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sadly some people will never get it ...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think we should hang around gp practices to give shock tactics, to all diabetics.
Too much confusion out there for none internet users. Especially in Sunderland.

My type 1 friend was never advised about how carbs can damage her eyes. Just bad control was advised to be the catalyst.
Not enough info for her to stop the blindness.
I'm very annoyed for her, she doesn't blame anyone.
I wish I knew then what I know now. I wouldnt have encouraged our student drinking binges. Porriage breakfasts and chips to carry her along til tea.
I wish I could go back in time! :(

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My type 1 friend was never advised about how carbs can damage her eyes. Just bad control was advised to be the catalyst.
Not enough info for her to stop the blindness.
Carbs themself don't damage anyone's eyes. High blood glucose levels do that. If you spend your life with a low glycaemic variability and good Hba1C, but do so eating a high carb diet, it is unlikely that you will suffer eye issues.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've learnt through this forum that medical research is continually changing, low carbing is new and works for many people - but not everyone. I guess the differing views of the medical professional are often down to the sheer number of health professionals. My previous GP who just retired said Go on Metformin straight away and that's that - my new one was supportive of me coming off the Metformin if my lifestyle allows which is does.

I'm just thankful I consider myself a little educated of the subject (well more than 5 months ago!) - and am keeping control (well most of the time) although I know there is much to learn.

As Lady Bracknell might say 'to lose one leg may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness' - and I have no intention of being careless LOL ;)

Reactions: 11 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've learnt through this forum that medical research is continually changing, low carbing is new and works for many people - but not everyone. I guess the differing views of the medical professional are often down to the sheer number of health professionals. My previous GP who just retired said Go on Metformin straight away and that's that - my new one was supportive of me coming off the Metformin if my lifestyle allows which is does.

I'm just thankful I consider myself a little educated of the subject (well more than 5 months ago!) - and am keeping control (well most of the time) although I know there is much to learn.

As Lady Bracknell might say 'to lose one leg may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness' - and I have no intention of being careless LOL ;)
Genius..

Reactions: 3 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The first time I took my husband with me to a review appointment he was horrified and shocked at the evidence of complications in other diabetes patients who were there. Sadly, I've been used to it for years. I am very fortunate to have no complications.

Thank you for the reminder, @PenfoldAPD . Sobering yet motivating.

:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Carbs themself don't damage anyone's eyes. High blood glucose levels do that. If you spend your life with a low glycaemic variability and good Hba1C, but do so eating a high carb diet, it is unlikely that you will suffer eye issues.
@tim2000s she had lazer treatment which was needed due to extreme changes in her insulin and glucose needs. She believes the ruptures were mainly due to the quick change in her vessels through correction. Too vicious!
So yes bad control, swinging from high and lows and glucose and insulin added to try and catch and correct bad bgs.
Due to bad dietary advice!
Many type 1s use low carbing to stop the swinging. More so now.
I wish she hadnt been advised to high carb due to low income to help with hypos!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So yes bad control, swinging from high and lows and glucose and insulin added to try and catch and correct bad bgs.
Due to bad dietary advice!
You can't really blame it on the diet. Diet alone doesn't cause swings from high to low and chasing the dragon.

Poor education and not understanding how the insulin/food relationship works is far more of an issue. It's possible to get a decent Hba1C and decent variability whilst eating a relatively high volume of carbs in a mixed diet. There are a fair few who have done that (as have I for most of my life).

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Question, is the relationship with carbs very different for Type 1 and Type 2? Or just different for everyone whatever type you are (Remember I'm still learning so sorry if it's a dumb question ...!) If I eat a load of carbs my BG goes sky high - I don't take medication or insulin. So surely that is my way forward, low carbing and eating what I know works - otherwise I'll be spiking all over the place. My last carb fest had me above 10.0, low carb and I'm in the 5's.

I'm not picking a fight (really not in my nature) just interested to know how @tim2000s can eat lots of carbs and still have a decent HbA1c - lucky Tim! Ok, and maybe a little jealous too :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Question, is the relationship with carbs very different for Type 1 and Type 2? Or just different for everyone whatever type you are (Remember I'm still learning so sorry if it's a dumb question ...!) If I eat a load of carbs my BG goes sky high - I don't take medication or insulin. So surely that is my way forward, low carbing and eating what I know works - otherwise I'll be spiking all over the place. My last carb fest had me above 10.0, low carb and I'm in the 5's.

I'm not picking a fight (really not in my nature) just interested to know how @tim2000s can eat lots of carbs and still have a decent HbA1c - lucky Tim! Ok, and maybe a little jealous too :)
Insulin and careful management. As a T1 I'm replacing the endogenous insulin with that which I inject. I therefore match the carbs I eat with the insulin needed to manage it. How that relates to managing significant spikes is based around timing and additional dosing.

It's not a stupid question and is quite different between T1s and T2s.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I can get away with a pretty high level of carbs now too: when I was first diagnosed nearly 2 years ago, I went onto a very low carb (<20g a day) diet for 6 months, and then gradually increased my carbs to my current level of around 200g a day. However, I achieve that by very strictly eating to my meter (I was testing every 20 minutes after eating but now have a freestyle Libre which my fingers are grateful for!) and eating little and often: I wait after eating until my blood sugar has dropped into the low 5s and then have something else to eat, and so-on

The reason I do that is because I was struggling to stop losing weight as I wasn't getting enough calories in and this is about the only way I've found to keep my weight under control: it is a bit regimented and does take some of the fun out of eating, but it has halted my weight loss :)

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've widely spoken about I lost my leg left above the knee to cancer when I was 19. And how the thought of diabetes complications scare the heck out of me.

Today at my Limb Centre I met the first guy since I was diagnosed who has lost his leg through diabetes. He told me his control was useless and for years he ignored it and ate what he wanted, didn't worry about exercise or losing weight. He greatly regrets it now. Quite forcibly told me I had to retain control and manage the condition.

Yet another personal wake up for me about this condition. Look after your feet! Keep control :)

@PenfoldAPD good of you to have shared this as it is always good to be reminded about what this is about. Thank you.
All power to you in your fight for control, you're doing good.

Reactions: 3 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Question, is the relationship with carbs very different for Type 1 and Type 2?
@PenfoldAPD , in many ways I am grateful - in as much as one can be - to have type 1 rather than type 2, because of the flexibility that being on insulin offers in relation to what I choose to eat or not eat.

That said, I find that reducing my carb intake, as indeed I have been for the last few months, has had a remarkable effect on the steadiness of my blood glucose control. Yes, when I eat a high carb meal I can deal with it with correspondingly higher dosage of insulin for it, but I find I minimise the rollercoaster of highs and lows by choosing to eat fewer carbs. It's something I would never even have given any thought to until I started visiting this forum.

The timing of bolusing and keeping an eye on the requirement for any correction dosing (either up or down) are things that I have struggled with, leading to unanticipated highs and lows. I simply find easier to deal with when I'm consuming a lower volume of carbohydrate.

:)

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!

My dad died from gangrene in both feet (hospital couldn't remove legs due to bad heart), then my brother died from complications after having his leg removed above the knee (MRSA or such, never found out which). So although I knew this I still ate what I wanted. Now I'm back on track. The 'It'll never happen to me' turned into it 'could be be', so here I am.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks @tim2000s and @phil1966 - really appreciate your very informative answer, thank you. Still got a way to go before I fully understand diabetes ;)
@PenfoldAPD i can take insulin and carb count but because i am insulin resistant i would add weight more as i would need 3x insulin im taking now on low carb.
Im producing insulin (i think) but because of the resistance my body cannot use it's low amount. I need huge amounts to be converted to energy.
Some research believe i need to find my fat threshold to combat resistance. On top of that i have underactive thyroid, which slows my metobolic rate and pcos is a condition linked to insulin resistance which gives me weight gain. Insulin injections gives me weight gain too because of the amounts needed to just function normally.
If I lose weight its a lb at a time, if I'm lucky. For me to lose weight I've combatted thyroid irregularity, pcos effects and insulins side affect. A fight of my life. I need to lose 5 stones, just as a start.
Type 2s are fighting fat thresholds for their frame. Type 1s are fighting the insulin needed for their food and exercise intake but can be tipped either way very very easily and left with an excess (hypo) or left with excess glucose (hyper). This tipping scale can be very vicious and very dangerous, at times.
Of course type1s can also become insulin resistant, on top. Poor people!
Type1s have no insulin

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenfoldAPD i can take insulin and carb count but because i am insulin resistant i would add weight more as i would need 3x insulin im taking now on low carb.
Im producing insulin (i think) but because of the resistance my body cannot use it's low amount. I need huge amounts to be converted to energy.
Some research believe i need to find my fat threshold to combat resistance. On top of that i have underactive thyroid, which slows my metobolic rate and pcos is a condition linked to insulin resistance which gives me weight gain. Insulin injections gives me weight gain too because of the amounts needed to just function normally.
If I lose weight its a lb at a time, if I'm lucky. For me to lose weight I've combatted thyroid irregularity, pcos effects and insulins side affect. A fight of my life. I need to lose 5 stones, just as a start.
Type 2s are fighting fat thresholds for their frame. Type 1s are fighting the insulin needed for their food and exercise intake but can be tipped either way very very easily and left with an excess (hypo) or left with excess glucose (hyper). This tipping scale can be very vicious and very dangerous, at times.
Of course type1s can also become insulin resistant, on top. Poor people!
Type1s have no insulin

Keep going @ickihun you are on the right path, however hard the journey seems at times :(