1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

anti-insulin antibodies?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Rob2011, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Rob2011

Rob2011 Type 2 · Newbie

I have been told my body is making more than enough insulin.
    My glucose level has been 450+ over seven years now.
    I had a bad reaction to insulin injectables and got tested by an Allergist.
    My doctor says I'm allergic to insulin, that my immune system is making
    antibodies to neutralize my insulin and any I inject, and it's not standard Type2.

My Endo dr. wants to put me on anti-rejection transplant meds to override my
    immune system. He also said they haven't dealt with this in over 10 years.?
    Does any of this sound right?

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound right, if your body was producing enough insulin you wouldn't be diabetic.

3. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well, that's incorrect. There are plenty of people with type 2 diabetes who are producing more than enough insulin. It isn't an insufficient insulin production that causes type 2. It's the cells response to insulin: being insulin resistant.

What exactly was the test your Allergist did? Did it show IgG antibodies or IgE and IgM antibodies? Were these antibodies there only after you had started treatment with injected insulin? What injected insulin have you tried treatment with? Rapid acting or NPH human insulins are less allergenic than basal insulins and bovine/porkine insulins. How high were the levels of antibodies on your tests? Only if you have very high IgG antibodies would that hinder insulin working, but you would still have the allergic reaction. How is your injected insulin being delivered? Via pen or pump? Has anyone discussed diaport with you, rather than immunosuppressants?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19125765

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rob2011

Rob2011 Type 2 · Newbie

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook