Antibiotics

Pompeygirl

T2 on metformin and i have recently had a cold that turned into an ear infection i have been prescribed amoxycillin. Since taking them my BG level had not been below 7.5 even eating no carbs at all. Its not the infection because although up and down they were generally 6 ish before the antibiotics. Does anyone know if they are likely to cause a bit of a rise?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DaveNN

Hi, my understanding is that an infection or illness can cause your BG to rise.
Ironically, a higher blood sugar can help to encourage infections....
Heads you win....

Pompeygirl

My levels were ok before the tablets though. I have been reading stuff and it seems that Amoxicillin can raise blood sugar levels. So if the infection doesn't the treatment will!

musiclover58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am frequently on antibiotics ( sometimes amoxicillin ) sometimes even steroids for asthma problems and both of these raise my Sugar levels and can take a couple of weeks to get back to normal

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Here is list of things outside of certain foods eaten that can contribute to a rise in your blood sugar levels,
Stress, illness, infection, dental work, steroids,cortisone injections,antibiotics,innoculations,some types
of medications [ please check with your GP] clinical investigations too can rise/spike the blood sugar levels .

Please ALWAYS follow your GP or HCP advice ...
Ask any questions of concern too .
Write notes down prior to visting your GP or HCP .
Take along a friend/relative for moral support if you wish .