Antidepressants and diabetes

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all.
I have borderline personality disorder, and recently my moods have been all over the place. By being in a bad mood, it sends my blood sugars all over the place. I'm thinking of going on antidepressants to stabilise my moods a little better until I feel stable again. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

catephoenix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on citalopram and they make me feel better 90% of the time. Leave you a bit tired the first couple of weeks but that passes.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

jah620

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all.
I have borderline personality disorder, and recently my moods have been all over the place. By being in a bad mood, it sends my blood sugars all over the place. I'm thinking of going on antidepressants to stabilise my moods a little better until I feel stable again. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you.

I've been on anti-depressants since the new year, and it's pretty much had absolutely no effect on my blood sugars. Actually, because they stabilise my moods, I've found my diabetic control a little easier to manage actually, and my sugars become more stable as a result. Hope this was helpful :)

laffinjake_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been on citalopram a few years ago. They really helped with depression but made me put a lot of weight on ☹️X

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chloesnavy I've been on a few different antidepressants, and have found that different ones have different effects. As others have said, citalopram didn't seem to effect my blood sugars much at all. The downside is that it didn't seem to do much else, either. Fluoxetine (you might know it as prozac) was manageable, a slight, consistent rise that was dealt with by some extra basal. Mirtazapine was a nightmare because I had severe side effects, so can't tell you about that one. I've been on venlafaxine for about three years now, and that has wreaked havoc - if I don't take it with a meal, hypos will ensue, and it generally seems to run higher because of it, probably because of the lactose. But, that said, as @laffinjake_ said, better mood makes it easier to take care of yourself. Hope some of that helps :)

D

Deleted member 83869

My depression/anxiety affects the way I control my diabetes a hell of a lot and I'm paying for it now....I have been on citalopram and sertraline previously....the sertraline was working for me and it helped with my control but now I'm on fluoxetine and still struggling but I've not long been on them! If you think they will help you then talk to your GP :) x

Reactions: Della82

Della82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been taking Sertraline for over a year, for stress, anxiety & depression. Before the antidepressants my blood sugars were always so high; the higher they were the more anxious I got & the more anxious I was the higher my bloods! It was truly awful.
The sertraline has definitely helped. My control is better (not perfect) but a stable mood for me means more stable blood sugars.

Adam.froud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been in antidepressants for depression and anxiety for five years now, and they really do make a difference. I was only diagnosed t1 last month so I can't really comment on how they might affect your BG.

TallGiraffe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have been on citalopram for 1-2 years now, seems to keep my moods fairly stable, but still have 'off' days. I haven't noticed any change in BG but I am sure this will be different for everyone. Also tried sertraline, this didn't agree with me and side effects were not nice. However, I know others on sertraline who are fine. Unfortunately, antidepressants are different for everyone. My advice is to speak with your Dr to see what they advise and always be honest/open if you don't think something is helping, the sooner you get help the sooner you can feel 'normal' again, whatever normal is!! :) Hope it all goes well.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have been on a few anti depressants
At the moment I am on a antipsycotic which is having an effect on my levels.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi
I've been on lots of antidepressants over the last 20 years, pretty well every SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and SSNRI (same, but add noradrenalin) they make. Also lithium, antipsychotics and ECT (electro convulsive therapy). I have been on one SSRI, escitalopram (a version of citalopram) for the last 10 years and I highly recommend it. In my opinion it is the best of the bunch.
I an feeling fine and able to cope with the world (including T2D). I often feel sad, but that's normal.
Good luck with the medication, I think you will be better off with it, if only for a short time.