Any advice for first time pumper. .

salb78

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice if that's OK. I get my first pump on Monday, Medtronic 640g. I'm 38 and been T1D for 19 yes. I live in the UK and it has taken 18 months of appointments and form filling to get one. Needless to say I'm really excited...... I'm also quite anxious.

Does anyone have any tips /suggestions/ tricks to starting on a pump. I've wanted one so long that I really want it to work and be as smooth as possible in the transition. I know it won't be perfect but am hoping it will make some things a bit easier.

Thanks for any help.

Sal. X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: cherylt1d
D

Deleted Account

Buy a smaller handbag: you won't need to carry as much paraphernalia
Make a note of your MDI doses: injections are likely to be your backup if your pump fails. This is a very rare occurrence so, by the time it happens, you will have forgotten how much basal to inject.
Clear a cupboard: you will get lots of supplies for your pump.
Be patient: you may not get your pump settings right first time
Watch YouTube videos: changing sets will seem complex at first but will become second nature
Experiment where you are going to wear your pump: some people clip it to their belt, some carry it in their trouser pocket, some strap it to their leg, some stuff it in their bra, ... I find different solutions suit different outfits
Start slowly: there are many options such as combo bolus and temp basal: learn and practice the basics first
Ask lots of questions: from your healthcare team and this forum
Enjoy the freedom

Reactions: salb78

lely

Sal many more on here with better control and advice than me, I only have one bit. Keep good records of your pump setting and BG readings and analyse them regularly to keep on top of your game.
Im 18 months in and was so excited to get mine and didn't realise how much commitment it took esp within the first 3/4 months but once I was set it made a major big difference. Good luck.

Sent from my E5303 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Things to make transition smoother might have been things you could have thought about doing a couple months ago. There's not a lot you can do before pump start on Monday. But you might already be on top of this. I would recommend getting hold of a copy of pumping insulin by John Walsh - it's a great read to prep for pumping and it's great to have around as a reference for a pump user (I found it really useful and it's often referred to as the pumpers bible on here, do think about getting a copy). I'd think about whether your basal dosage is currently correct, if you had more time you might have thought about a bit of basal testing, because what you are on now will feed into what dosage you are started off on the pump. I'd think about seeing if you can afford CGM or libre to help out with basal testing during the pump start. While the 640 does link up with enlite CGM they are having supply/production issues and not currently accepting new customers so libre would be the alternative. I was on dexcom when I started pumping and having a continuous trend line did make getting my basal adjusted to suit me a bit more straightforward.

Last edited:

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I won't repeat what others have said so here are my additional thoughts: I found the easiest way to wear my pump was to get a belt rather than clipping it onto my trousers/skirt (on my bra is also good and not at all as noticeable as I worried it would be). I found it easier to ignore during the day (no one else seems to have had this problem but I found it a faff working out what to do with it when I needed the loo!) and more comfortable to sleep at night. There are lots out there, or if you are crafty you can make your own, but I got mine from here: http://www.hid-in.com. I'd also say be prepared for some frustration to start with as you try to get your levels sorted but it is worth it (I am still trying to fine tune mine and temporary basal rates for exercise are an ongoing challenge) . You really do have to stick with the frequent testing schedule to make it work and a Libre is a definite help with that. I started my pump this year and I was super nervous about it before hand but actually most of it was over nothing. Now I love my pump and wouldn't give it up for the world! Good luck :)

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't forget to take an alternative means of administering short acting insulin if you are away from home for more than a couple of hours in case of pump or cannula problems,
you will find your blood glucose rise rapidly as you will have no background insulin in the event of hopefully rare issues.
Good luck hope it goes well

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also found I am way more sensitive to stuff now. Hot weather always used to cause my BG to go up but now I notice it makes me more insulin sensitive. Also I get less insulin sensitive in the days before my period which was again something I hadn't seen before. So I guess my point is be on the look out to see if some of your patterns change.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I carry an emergency kit with me if away from home for over an hour. This contains a backup pen and needles, spare infusion set and reservoir, batteries, test kit (glucose and ketones) and obviously hypo treatment (jelly babies for me). I always use a make-up bag to hold all this. Because of this, my DSN advised me to buy a bigger handbag (sorry @helensaramay ).

If you decide to wear the pump clipped to your bra, make sure you have a plunge bra to wear with lower cut tops/dresses, otherwise the tubing could show.

If your DSN doesn't mention Carelink, ask her about it. You upload your pump to this and can see graphs of your BG results which can help you to spot patterns.

Things will most likely run smoothly but if you have any problems, just ask. Just be patient and don't expect everything to be perfect after a week. It takes time. Good luck!

daviedoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone i have been on the accu chek insight for a few months now and i think my diabetes has never been better controlled as it is now.i have had type 1 diabetes for 34 years and it has given me so much heart ache over the years with lows and many high reading. I feel since being on the pump I have had a few learning issues but i am so happy with my pump and it makes me think about what i eat and the size of portions. My pump says i have around 55% of bloods within target so still alot to learn and adjust but i will get there and i enjoy trying. I feel si much healthier and alert

cherylt1d

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I'm looking for some advice if that's OK. I get my first pump on Monday, Medtronic 640g. I'm 38 and been T1D for 19 yes. I live in the UK and it has taken 18 months of appointments and form filling to get one. Needless to say I'm really excited...... I'm also quite anxious.

Does anyone have any tips /suggestions/ tricks to starting on a pump. I've wanted one so long that I really want it to work and be as smooth as possible in the transition. I know it won't be perfect but am hoping it will make some things a bit easier.

Thanks for any help.

Sal. X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

hi I don't have any advice but I'm also getting the pump on Monday. I'm UK also

Cheryl.