Any advice on the ND and exercise please?

hillj757

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am day 2 of the Newcastle Diet and hoping to go from 15 1/2 stone down to 12 in around 8'weeks. My aim is to stick (more or less) to the original ND with slimfast as the liquid supplement source for the 600 calories topped up with the veg allowed to take it to the 800, or slightly more with the low fat salad dressings and the odd cup of coffee with skimmed milk.

If anyone on the ND trains hard, like an hour in the gym doing mainly CV, is there scope there for a healthy treat such as a banana??

Reactions: Peerless67

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it fits within your calorie count then why not.. you will already be having loads of carbs in the shakes. I would hesitate personally to describe a banana as a healthy treat though.. sticks of sugar I think Dr Unwin calls them.

Reactions: hillj757

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am day 2 of the Newcastle Diet and hoping to go from 15 1/2 stone down to 12 in around 8'weeks. My aim is to stick (more or less) to the original ND with slimfast as the liquid supplement source for the 600 calories topped up with the veg allowed to take it to the 800, or slightly more with the low fat salad dressings and the odd cup of coffee with skimmed milk.

If anyone on the ND trains hard, like an hour in the gym doing mainly CV, is there scope there for a healthy treat such as a banana??

I am on my 8th week on ND. Was 15st 2lbs and am currently 12st 10lbs
You can read my postings and I recommend you also read "Peerless" as he started the week before me and has done great on his own version of the ND.

Like you, I followed the ND original diet rigidly, only eating non starchy veg.
I used "Astral nutrition" shakes as only 100 calories per shake so left me more calories for veg. Excellent shakes protein and nutrients wise. No supplements required.

The ND suggests no exercise while limiting to 800 calories a day and I would agree as anything strenuous I found to make me light headed. This last week I have done some light training only in an arpttempt to boost my metabolism to try and hit my goal of 12st 8lbs as I didn't lose any weight in week 7.

So, no banana if you are doing the ND strictly but lots of people have a version that isn't the original ND. So it's basically up to you.
Me? I wasn't sure about such things and decided best thing to do was to stick to what worked.

Good luck

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The carbs in the shakes should be low enough to keep you in ketosis, which will aid in the weight loss. I think the carbs in the shakes plus a banana would probably kick you out of ketosis although I have not tried it. I also have done zero as far as exercise goes throughout my 8 weeks. I would say skip the carbs and any serious exercise until after the 8 weeks as 800 calories is very low to incorporate exercise.

hillj757

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If it fits within your calorie count then why not.. you will already be having loads of carbs in the shakes. I would hesitate personally to describe a banana as a healthy treat though.. sticks of sugar I think Dr Unwin calls them.
Thanks for the advice:)

hillj757

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am on my 8th week on ND. Was 15st 2lbs and am currently 12st 10lbs
You can read my postings and I recommend you also read "Peerless" as he started the week before me and has done great on his own version of the ND.

Like you, I followed the ND original diet rigidly, only eating non starchy veg.
I used "Astral nutrition" shakes as only 100 calories per shake so left me more calories for veg. Excellent shakes protein and nutrients wise. No supplements required.

The ND suggests no exercise while limiting to 800 calories a day and I would agree as anything strenuous I found to make me light headed. This last week I have done some light training only in an arpttempt to boost my metabolism to try and hit my goal of 12st 8lbs as I didn't lose any weight in week 7.

So, no banana if you are doing the ND strictly but lots of people have a version that isn't the original ND. So it's basically up to you.
Me? I wasn't sure about such things and decided best thing to do was to stick to what worked.

Good luck
That's also great advice. The only additional intake of calories I was thinking was things such as a squeeze of salad cream on a big salad if I had been to the gym. Defo no Sugar sticks' though and plenty water. Lost 2 Kgs when I checked this morning after only 3 full days so it's obviously working :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Exercise after the first week should be OK, but only if you feel like it. (By the end of the first week your body should be burning fat.)

Resistance training will give the most benefit, along with a bit of high-intensity interval training. The normal advice about exercise on ND is aimed at people who were not exercising before the ND.

hillj757

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Exercise after the first week should be OK, but only if you feel like it. (By the end of the first week your body should be burning fat.)

Resistance training will give the most benefit, along with a bit of high-intensity interval training. The normal advice about exercise on ND is aimed at people who were not exercising before the ND.

Thanks Ringi, great advice, many thanks. I have gentle cv and weights tomorrow and will step it back up next week with circuits and interval training