Any advice please

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

Maybe a slightly weird one but does anyone have any advice about looking after an older cat? We are adopting an 11 year old cat today from a friend who has terminal cancer and can no longer keep him, he's a great wee cat and knows myself and my partner well (especially my partner) but neither of us has ever had a cat before, he's an indoor and outdoor cat, I know we'll need to keep him in for a few weeks to acclimatise him with his new place, any other advice as to how we can settle him in happily? I feel so bad for him having to leave his house he's been in for years but I couldn't see him having to go back to the cat home and possibly be put to sleep or live in a cage for the rest of his life if nobody took him. I think I'm just a bit nervous so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Maggie

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
any other advice as to how we can settle him in happily?
That's really nice of you to adopt him, must be a relief for your friend as well to know the cat is in a good place!

Apart from the obvious (litterbox, food, water) I'd get a couple of cardboard boxes for him. they're free, and as far as I know there's not a cat in the world who doesn't love a nice cardboard box to crawl in!
Once he's over the initial shock of being moved to a new place, he's likely to get bored, being an indoor/outdoor cat. Try to see if he wants to chase a piece of string with a knot in the end, or buy him a fancier version like this to play with him.

My cats also love being talked to, it often starts them purring, or coming over for a headbump :)

550x542.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hopeful34