any diabetic ninja's out there ?

A

Anonymous

I've been thinking for a while about doing a self-defence type martial art class. Primarily to build my confidence and make me feel I might stand a chance of getting out of trouble if confronted.

I have the usual bloke worries about being a complete beginner and I don't really want to be the only 47 year old in a class of 8 year olds.

So can anyone on here suggest a martial art that might be suitable for a chap of my mature years. I'm reasonably fit now I think. I'dalso rather do something that doesn't require a load of kit and that I can practice at between lessons.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
JuJitsu is a good martial art for people of any age,I used to practice it many years ago and most members were aged over 40.I'm hoping to go back to it if my consultant surgeon can 'Fix' me.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband started Karate when he was 50. He only joined to keep our son company and expected to give up once our young son felt comfortable to go on his own. He was surprised to find that he enjoyed the challenge and 3 years later gained his Black belt. He would have gone further but his deafness was a drawback and he was happy to play a supporting role helping the junior members.

So if you want to try a Martial Art go and visit some local classes and see which appeals to you, I am sure whichever one appeals will welcome you warmly.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I'm sure a local gym/club will allow you to observe before you commit.

I joined a beginners women only Mu-Thai and would have kept going but it got cancelled due to lack of females.

We joined the males a couple of times when there was just on teacher. In a class of about 30 men, quite a few were in their 30-40s, not that I was conciously checking them out :lol: