Any experience with Vitamin D and neuropathy symptoms ?

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have read that many diabetics have low levels of vitamin D. Also there are reports indicating that taking vitamin D to normalise such deficiencies can help with neuropathy symptoms. Does anyone here have personal experience of taking vitamin D and its affect (if any) on neuropathy ?

Reactions: Liam1955
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read that and it happens that I have some vitamin D pills in my cupboard. I started taking them to see if everything healed up and I was young and handsome again. So far nuttin.

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I read that and it happens that I have some vitamin D pills in my cupboard. I started taking them to see if everything healed up and I was young and handsome again. So far nuttin.
no miracles yet then :(

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @Begonia - I take Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) drops 4 a day, which I get on prescription. I have been taking them since last October for Bone Pain and to be honest I cannot say if it's the Vitamin D that is lessening the pain or perhaps it is the pain relief tablets that I take that is having the effect on the Pain. :)

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Begonia - I take Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) drops 4 a day, which I get on prescription. I have been taking them since last October for Bone Pain and to be honest I cannot say if it's the Vitamin D that is lessening the pain or perhaps it is the pain relief tablets that I take that is having the effect on the Pain. :)
Hi - does

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, does this mean that diabetes causes bone pains? I am new to this so a bit confused. My knees ache quite a lot and certainly daily - my doctor just dismissed that as 'age' (I am 65).

Hotpepper20000

For me I had terrible all over body aches before I started LCHF.
When my BG runs high I ache. Not sure how else to describe it.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @JenniB - I inherited the Diabetes from my Mother and Grandmother. And also the Osteoarthritis from my Mother and Grandmother.
The Lower Spine was first with me for the Osteoarthritis but second was the knees. I went through a load of Blood Tests, X-Rays and Bone Scans before getting a diagnosis only just recently. But, your GP really needs to refer you to see a Rheumatologist and have tests done to find out for sure.:)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi I have been taking Adcal+D3 for years for bone protection from high doses of steroids I developed neuropathy while taking it and still have it now so for me it didn't prevent nor has it cured or mitigated my neuropathy but that is not to say that you or others will not benifit from taking it as a supplement.

It would be best to discuss it with your doctor and as Liam says maybe seek a referral to a Rheumatologist.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lack of B12 is associated with neuropathy. Metformin can make you B12 deficient.

Many people recommend Alpha Lipoic Acid supplements for neuropathy. As an added bonus, ALA also clears brain fog and increases cognitive ability, so great for old codgers who are beginning to lose their marbles. Diabetes does raise the risk of Alzheimer's, so ALA is a benefit if you are showing symptoms like memory loss.