1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Yorkshire & The Humber Any groups in Leicestershire?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Events & Fundraising' started by kitsunerin, May 9, 2017.

1. kitsunerin

kitsunerin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey everyone!

I am looking for fellow type 1 (or other) diabetics in the Leicestershire area, or if anyone knows of any support groups? I don't know anyone else in the area who has diabetes and it makes it very hard. I feel incredibly isolated at the moment and would love to just rant with someone over coffee, haha!

I'm thinking of maybe starting a group if there isn't already one, if my anxiety allows me to! I'm in Wigston, on the outskirts of Leicester by the way!

2. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hello there. I live in Leicestershire, but not so close to you.

I don't know of any folks from this site who get together, in Leicestershire, but there are a few Diabetes UK (the charity, not this site) groups in the county. A attend one of these, and we have a good mix of T1s and T2s, and the meetings are well attended. The list of Midlands DUK groups is here:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/In_Your_Area/Midlands/Voluntary_groups/Listing-of-local-groups/

My guess is you will be closer the Harborough group that any of the others. Unfortunately, there are no contact details for that group on the site, but there the DUK London office is listed there. I'm fairly sure they would have a name of the person organising things in Harborough.

Alternatively, your hospital may have some support groups running? I'm guessing you are looked after at either the Royal or General hospitals. They might give you a steer on where you might find some folks.

Good luck with that.

3. kitsunerin

kitsunerin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll ask at the hospital :) I did look into the Harbourough one, but as I don't drive I think it would be hard to get to unfortunately :(

4. ZozoSanfura_91

ZozoSanfura_91 Type 2 · Newbie

I know this is late, but I live in Leicester. I live down towards Birstall but work in Oadby. I’m a type 2 though! I’m sure there are more Leicesterians with diabetes out there!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook