Any Kindle Fire users? Need some help please!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Before I launch the damned thing out the window:banghead:

I've got a Kindle Fire (5th generation) and have had no problems with the wifi connection, I'm a Sky user, Sky router but not IT savvy. I have my daughter visiting at the moment who has special needs, let her use it to play the games, and now I can't connect to the internet at all. The list of networks available comes up, my Sky one comes up showing signal strength as no bars. I press my particular Sky router details, it then says signal strength excellent and prompts me to enter the password, which I do (this hasn't been changed - then press connect. It then says "authenticating" then "saved" but then continues to alternate between the two and I can get no further.
The wee inverted triangle at the right hand side on the top of the Kindle (next to battery life) is just empty, no bars at all. I've tried switching off and rebooting, looking at all the info I can find online but don't seem to be getting anywhere. I saw the factory reset thingy, but I don't want to lose my photos etc, and can't transfer them because I don't have a wifi connection!

Any ideas? Ta:)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
What did you reboot? The kindle, the router or both?
Is your Sky router made by Netgear? Mine once 'lost' all of its settings and I had to restore them from a backup file. (Is the router still working with everything else you use?)
Does the router have 'access' turned off? Does the router have a 'discover' function?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
What did you reboot? The kindle, the router or both?
Is your Sky router made by Netgear? Mine once 'lost' all of its settings and I had to restore them from a backup file. (Is the router still working with everything else you use?)
Does the router have 'access' turned off? Does the router have a 'discover' function?

Right. I rebooted the Kindle (switching it off while pressing button until it came back on. I haven't got a clue who the router is made by but think it is Sky itself, that's what it says on the side lol. I don't know what access is, nor discover - as I said, I'm not very savvy with such things. I don't think I have ever backed anything up either, wouldn't know where to start:wideyed:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Any improvement yet?
I'd say reboot the router but without a backup file you may end up in worse situation.
Did you get any written instructions with the router.