Any one tried iBG Star

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I have downloaded the glucose tester app on my phone for the iBG Star but found that is sells for around £46 in Boots, so loathe to pay out for something that I am unsure about needing. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this, if so, what are your findings please?

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I have got the iBGstar & really like it. I have 4 sons in their early 20's & they persuaded me to buy it because it was cool & they like gadgets of course!! It's the first monitor I've had so nothing to compare with as I was only diagnosed in April. I like the fact that it's so small, I like the way it stores & displays the info & that you can email it straight on to your GP or anyone who might be interested & agrees with you testing!!!! It's also a bit of a talking point - people are interested in what it is- that may be bad if you arn't keen on people knowing your diabetic- it doesn't bother me.
I wouldn't say for a minute that you 'need' it but if you do decide to get one you can get the VAT off that price at Boots. I thought I might have to get the strips from Boots too which wouldn't have been convenient for me but the pharmacy I always use got them for me for the next day & now order them in.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Thanks for reply, I think I may buy it, I have two questions that you may like to answer - how much do the strips cost, and you say that it is VAT excluded to diabetics - is this already deducted from shelf price, or do they deduct upon purchase - if so what proof do they require?

Kathleen

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
I have the BG Star
The only problem I fine is sometimes the needles dont grip or if they do they sometimes bend.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Thanks for info will bear it I'm mind

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The strips are about £26.50 but again you can get the VAT back. If you search VAT exemption form there is a form there you can print off & take with you. Apparently they should have them but looked totally blankly at me!!
Yes some needles do seem to bend occasionally but then others I re- use multiple times. Hope this helps.

RobsterinSheff

Dislikes
Type 2 diabetes; Hashimotos; English weather; arrogant and self centered people
I have the iBG Star.

I think its a great meter and- as a 'boy-and-his-toys' geek I love being able to slot it into my ipad and iphone and transfer the readings automatically several at a time (yes I know). The 50 tube test strips are reasonably priced- and I did not know about the test strip VAT exemption: hat tip for that :wink:

HOWEVER: the lancet that comes with it is TOTAL PANTS! It was taking me 4/5 needles to get a reading despite trying all the various gauges.

So I buy a box (100) of 'Unistik 2 comfort'' disposable lancets- identical to the one the GP will use for a finger prick test only pink rather than yellow. Works every time with a single lancet.

CaptArtichoke

I just got one of these half price (20) at Boots after seeing it advertised on here - it is awesome! I'm tempted to get one for a friend of mine for christmas but not sure about giving a glucose meter as a gift?! :crazy:

andrew_333

I have the iBG star and find the meter to be fantastic. It's great to be able to work out tends with the graph displays.

I use alternative site testing, and have to say the lancet isn't great for that. It usually takes a few attempts to get a sample from my forearm, but I still prefer it to finger pricking.

I also find that the meter or strips don't like low temperatures. If the temp in my room is below 21 Celsius I often get a false reading - and that can be costly.

All in all though I do like my iBG star :D