1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Any protein shake recommendations?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by AlexMagd, Sep 19, 2017.

1. AlexMagd

AlexMagd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to up my protein intake at the moment and since I usually am running out the door in the morning there's not much opportunity for a cooked breakfast. Protein shakes sound like a good solution for getting an extra protein hit before work, but given how expensive the powders are I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of brands they like to use?

2. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @AlexMagd . Not sure how this concoction will affect your BS levels. It's a breakfast " drink" I occasionally have for a change, but I'm T1 and inject insulin to cover the protein intake.
    200 ml milk
    2/3 dessert spoons Greek style yogurt
    Banana
    1/2 dessert spoons peanut butter.
    All in a bowl and blend with a hand blender (£10 Morrisons ).
    It's cheap and cheerful but can't vouch for how it'll affect your sugars.

3. seanj67

seanj67 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've used MP (https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html ) Impact Whey for years - about the cheapest of the "big brands" and the range of flavours is great... today I have Chocolate Coconut but the Chocolate Mint & Chocolate Smooth were great too. I blend it with ice and milk and it comes out like a Mc D's shake. Doesn't raise my BG very much at all and it soon settles again - that'll be from the milk.

*Edit*

I use them as meal replacements sometimes - I tried SlimFast but it's BG rocket fuel for me.

S

#3 seanj67, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  4. uart

uart Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

I'm not a real big fan of protein shakes. Most of them contain either sugar or artificial sweeteners, and may also contain vegetable fats. I used to sometimes take one that Aldi sells here (Australia) called "slim and trim", but I will no longer touch it. The first three ingredients listed are "Milk solids, Fructose, Vegetable Fat".

5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

You'd probably be better with skipping breakfast altogether...protein shakes (depending on what they are made of) can in some people cause an insulin response which is what you are trying to avoid. Why do you think you aren't having enough protein?

6. badcat

badcat · Guest

#6 badcat, Sep 20, 2017 at 2:55 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2017
  7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook