Any questions that burned within you when you were first diagnosed?

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, but I'm talking to some newly diagnosed patients on monday and I've been mostly focusing on "how I did it" as per request of my nurse.
But I also want to answer some of the questions the nurses and nutritionists and so on don't answer.
Specifically I've chosen to talk about some of the emotional sides of receiving the diagnosis and learning to live with it, but I wanted to ask:
Do you have any questions I should try to answer in my presentation?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The question that went unanswered at my diagnosis was 'What possible effects will T2 have on my pre existing conditions?' None of my pre existing conditions relate to Diabetes directly i.e no problems with blood pressure, thyroid, PCOS etc. I had to do my own research and it proved to be an added burden at the time.

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Oh, thank you for your reply! Yes, I can see how that can be a very common question and we must do our best to inform them. It's a good testament to character and intellect that one is able to find such complicated information and digest it on one's own. Sadly; many of us are not lucky enough to have such resources. Many of them will not speak any English and will have a difficult time browsing the internet to look for the answers they need.
You are probably aware of this by this point; but it is interesting to see that hypo- and hyperthyroidism is so often connected to diabetes. I have hypothyroidism myself and did not make this connection before looking through the scientifics. Just knowing that there's a connection kinda helped. As for PCOS I do not have any personal experience, as I lack the proper parts.
I hope things have gotten better with time. It can be difficult to have many afflictions at the same time, especially when one has to juggle information that oftentimes contradicts the GP!

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thank you, yes it got easier especially when I discovered that LCHF could possibly have a positive affect not only on T2 but on Menieres Syndrome and Chronic pain. Good luck with your presentation.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @SugarDaddy91

I think something we come across time after time on the forum, is that so many newly diagnosed people expeirence emotional upset about their diagnosis, but they seem to experience it differently. Sometimes guilt. Sometimes grief. Sometimes blame. Sometimes anger... Denial is a huge one.

Letting those people know that whatever they are feeling is OK is very important. also that they should expect to experience a whole range of emotions and reactions, as part of a perfectly normal process - hopefully including acceptance.

Ever heard of the 5 stages of grief?
https://www.toolshero.com/change-management/stages-of-grief/
It is well worth a read, and applies just as much to getting a life changing diagnosis, as it does to grief, or a terminal illness.
I expect that we all (including the people you address) will recognise themselves in it.

Reactions: jjraak and Guzzler