Any recommendations Libre vs Dexcom G5?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
www.dexcom.co.uk is your friend. Give them a call and ask about what you can get.

I use the Dexcom G5 with xDrip+ or the iPhone app. You still need the transmitter for that.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
xDrip is an open source app that you can use with Dexcom systems that runs on Android. Take a look here: http://www.nightscout.info/wiki/wel...d-dexcom-share-wireless/xdrip-with-g5-support @Djdiabetic
So am I right on thinking that even though with G5 you can use the dexcom android app to get the data, using xdrip is useful as the transmitter life can be extended? What would the main advantage be of using xdrip over the official app? Is it more user friendly? Does it give a better breakdown of data? Is it data that can be downloaded better? The cgm in the cloud fb group confuses me as there's lots of people from USA and the devices that support G5 differ from that in the UK. I want to get the best out of the G5 and understand it before I go sticking it on.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So am I right on thinking that even though with G5 you can use the dexcom android app to get the data, using xdrip is useful as the transmitter life can be extended? What would the main advantage be of using xdrip over the official app? Is it more user friendly? Does it give a better breakdown of data? Is it data that can be downloaded better? The cgm in the cloud fb group confuses me as there's lots of people from USA and the devices that support G5 differ from that in the UK. I want to get the best out of the G5 and understand it before I go sticking it on.
So, aside from not having to throw the transmitter out at three months, xDrip+ also has functionality to provide predictions based on carb and bolus insulin, so will warn you if it expects a low based on carb entry, insulin on board and also glucose trajectory.

If you don't use the Dexcom Receiver, I don't think you can use the Clarity software, so access to the data either way can be difficult. With xDrip+ you can configure to upload to NightScout or the Dexcom Share servers.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the note about G5 sensor longevity, it varies by user. I typically get around 16 days of decent quality data out of a sensor when used with a G5 transmitter. With the G4 transmitter, it was nearer 21-24. In terms of apps, the Dexcom G5 app allows you to enter events (eating, exercise, etc) so that you can do similar investigation into what has been going on. Or you can use some of the DIY stuff from NightScout.

While the Libre reads every minute, and the G5 every 5 mins, the value in that is very dependent on how frequently you check, so that's really a question for the end user. The other thing to consider is the "accuracy" of the system. The G5 has a sub-10% MARD, while the Libre is around 11.5%. The G5 is approved for bolusing while the Libre isn't (but that doesn't mean you can't...).

I guess it's horses for courses really. After using the Libre for a while, I switched over to Dexcom, then Medtronic to use with my 640G. Each of them is slightly different and has it's pros and cons.

Hi! I’m aware this is an old post, but I’ve really been looking for someone who has used all three CGM systems. I’ve had the Libre and am currently on the Medtronic (I have no pump though). And I was wondering if the Dexcom G5 is more accurate than the Medtronic one. I have had a few issues when my Guardian Connect would ask for calibration and my blood glucose isn’t close to the sensor glucose at all. The app then tells me it doesn’t accept the calibration and I have to try again in 15 minutes. If I do that and the app decides to not accept again, it shuts down my current sensor and tells me to get a new one. I’ve already lost 4 sensors this way and it’s really frustrating. It seems to completely lack any logic that the system won’t accept my calibration, since it’s the only way to get accurate values.

In short, I wanted to ask if you had similar problems with the Dexcom G5 or which one you prefer and why exactly. Thank you so much in advance!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi! I’m aware this is an old post, but I’ve really been looking for someone who has used all three CGM systems. I’ve had the Libre and am currently on the Medtronic (I have no pump though). And I was wondering if the Dexcom G5 is more accurate than the Medtronic one. I have had a few issues when my Guardian Connect would ask for calibration and my blood glucose isn’t close to the sensor glucose at all. The app then tells me it doesn’t accept the calibration and I have to try again in 15 minutes. If I do that and the app decides to not accept again, it shuts down my current sensor and tells me to get a new one. I’ve already lost 4 sensors this way and it’s really frustrating. It seems to completely lack any logic that the system won’t accept my calibration, since it’s the only way to get accurate values.

In short, I wanted to ask if you had similar problems with the Dexcom G5 or which one you prefer and why exactly. Thank you so much in advance!
Hi, I've used multiple different CGMs including the older Enlite with minilink transmitter, the Enlites with Guardian2, the Dexcom G4 and G5, and now the Medtrum. I've also got a Dexcom G6 on the way.

I wrote about which of those was best here: http://www.diabettech.com/cgm/whats...n-easy-question-with-a-more-difficult-answer/ but I've not used the Medtronic Guardian Connect, which I understand uses a different transmitter.

I suspect your experience with the sensors is similar to many others, in that the Medtronic ones don't tend to have the longevity of the Dexcom ones. The Medtronic systems will only calibrate when the ISIG is above 10, so it's worth checking to see what it's showing when you have these issues. I'd guess that it's below 10 and is an indication of a bad sensor, especially if it is fairly new.

Compared to Dexcom, the Medtronics are generally not as reliable and definitely don't last as long, and if you're using it as standalone, I'd seriously consider looking at the Dexcom G6, which has had some great reviews.