Any thoughts on this one...APPLES

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only way to know is to test. I can tolerate them OK, but others can't. I find it useful to buy the "kid" size apple (and other fruit) packs so that I'm not pushing the amount too high.

Reactions: Freema

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one sometimes but as Indy51 says I have the fun size. . As we have always heard an apple a day keeps the doctor away and that is not just a myth apples are very nutricious

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat a small apple every day and it doesn't affect my blood sugar, but everyone is different and as others have said, the only way to know for sure is to test it yourself.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As we have always heard an apple a day keeps the doctor away and that is not just a myth apples are very nutricious
You should have a good aim for this :)
Anyway I found that if bought at the armers' market you could buy the smaller ones at a discount because they're deemed second choice. Anyway an apple seems to me that shouldn't be a big problem, especially if excanged with starchy foods.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,
well I know apples (fruit in general) are not exactly diabetic friendly but according to this article I have just been e-mailed we should be eating them! Any thoughts from those who are really into their research and up on their knowledge?
https://authoritynutrition.com/apples-and-diabetes/
Eat and test.. is the only thing I can recommend.. for me its a no.. never liked them anyway and bad for your teeth I don't miss them one bit.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Same old ......... eat to your meter

Reactions: Jus455

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has highlighted previously by myself, I find apples do not have much impact on blood sugar but do make me feel more hungrier after eating.
Not sure why this happens but it happens to me.:bored:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apples are our native fruit
You should have a good aim for this :)
Anyway I found that if bought at the armers' market you could buy the smaller ones at a discount because they're deemed second choice. Anyway an apple seems to me that shouldn't be a big problem, especially if excanged with starchy foods.

Unfortunately we do not have any farmers markets near me. I used to buy fruit and veg at my local farm shop just down the road from where I live until the shop was made bigger and better and now most of what it sells is not local produce anymore but stuff from abroad all packaged up and the same as we can buy in the supermarket but more expensive so I do not go there anymore

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just eat and test - no-one can predict how your body will react to any food.

I eat apples occasionally - generally about half at a time, and preferably in conjunction with other (and some fatty) food. So one half might go in with a chicken drumstick, celery, walnuts, chives, lemon and sour cream, and the other half be gently cooked in butter and cinnamon to mix with some blackberries and a bit of low carb crumble and cream or yoghurt to eat the next day.

At the moment my husband occasionally brings home a few lovely small crunchy apples that fall off a tree near the edge of the local playing field where he often takes the dogs.

Robbity

Emg23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm ok with most fresh fruits including apples fortunately, bananas are the only fruit I've noticed that increase my blood sugar slightly. Em

MissMac

Just eat and test - no-one can predict how your body will react to any food.

I eat apples occasionally - generally about half at a time, and preferably in conjunction with other (and some fatty) food. So one half might go in with a chicken drumstick, celery, walnuts, chives, lemon and sour cream, and the other half be gently cooked in butter and cinnamon to mix with some blackberries and a bit of low carb crumble and cream or yoghurt to eat the next day.

At the moment my husband occasionally brings home a few lovely small crunchy apples that fall off a tree near the edge of the local playing field where he often takes the dogs.

Robbity
Can I come to your house? I LOVE apple crumble and not found a low carb version yet!! xx

A

asparagusp

'I'm ok with most fresh fruits including apples fortunately, bananas are the only fruit I've noticed that increase my blood sugar slightly. Em'

So no problem then!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I remember watching a program about people who restrict calories to extremely low levels I think because they believe it slows ageing one of them used to peal an apple eat the skin and discard the rest as he said the apple flesh was just a load of sugar and little else could be he was correct and most of the good things in an apple are in the skin.

I like apples and do have the occasional one without too much of a spike..

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I love apples. I eat one almost every good diet day. I will usually only eat half at a time and give the other half to the person I care for. I eat them raw, by themselves or in a salad.They do not seem to give me overly high readings. The fiber helps slow down the digestion of the sugar in the apple. I always eat the skin. The variety matters. I like Fuji, Macintosh, Pink lady, Granny Smith, Jonathan and Jon-golds. I do not like Red Delicious-they taste metallic and mealy to me. What varieties are available where you live?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I come to your house? I LOVE apple crumble and not found a low carb version yet!! xx
I have a basic mix of ground almonds (or sometimes DIY ground hazelnuts and cocoa powder), butter, and Sukrin Gold (a demerera/brown sugar alternative) which will make me crumble or shortcake, or with eggs added make microwave muffins. Have a check in our low carb recipes thread as I did a long post on these and other variations there! :p

Robbity

Reactions: JohnEGreen