Any type 1's who don't use insulin?

Iambackwards

phoenix, I read some research a while ago about how type 1's beta cells regenerate even years after diagnosis, it's just that we have an auto immune attack which kills the new ones off. From experience, I find that when my insulin requirements drop very low and then I eat something too high in carbs and my sugar levels get high (around 12mmol/l+), the next day my insulin requirements are higher. I think this could be because high sugar levels help towards killing off your working beta cells, but this is just a theory.

I also find that exercising a lot lowers my insulin requirements for days and could help towards slowing down the auto immune attack on the working beta cells, but it could also be other factors. It seems that no matter what lifestyle changes you make, the only cure will come from finding out how to stop the autoimmune attack on the beta cells.

claridge, one thing about ketones that I see even doctors get wrong is that if your sugar levels are in a good range, which is below 7.6mmol/l and you have ketones in your urine, it just means your body is using fat for energy instead of carbs. Ketoacidosis can only occur when your sugar levels are high AND you have ketones in your urine.
This is especially true when you low carb, because your body will use free fatty acids and ketones as energy and the ketones in your urine just mean your body has enough energy and is flushing unused energy out. This is why ketogenic diets work so well, because people are actually just urinating out unused energy instead of storing it as fat.

I only drink zero carb alcohol, just because it's a hassle being out and having to inject insulin depending on what I drink, especially when I am drunk. Vodka + diet coke works for me and some carbs before going to sleep.

jopar

The insulin needs will be as individual as the diabetic... Some need higher amounts to maintain control and others need very little to maintain control... Not all of your insulin needs will be based on the carb content of your food...

I don't follow the low carb diet at all, but with saying that I still use a lot less insulin than those that do and maintain good control of my diabetes... And after being type 1 for almost 21 years now, I very much doubt that I produce any insulin nor am I'm in a honeymoon period either...

I have to use a insulin pump to maintain control, as normal method of injecting insulin can't cope with my very small needs of insulin... At times even my pump isn't able to cope as such, as the small amount that it can deliver is 0.1 of a unit over an hour period of time on the basal (background setting) So while I'm at work (which is very physical exercise as I'm a dog handler) I have to turn my pump to deliver 0.00 for an hour, which helps but even with this hour off the pump raises my levels, but if I have 0.1 units over that hour, I end up with a hypo!!! I've tried lowering my pump earlier but this only give increases my BG before I get to work...

It may because just like me, you require tiny amounts of insulin to maintain control, nothing wrong in that at all, just the way we are..

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Im a type 1. That makes a lot more sense re the Ketones- thank you!
Not sure what to do with the alcohol= whether to drink or not. My instinct is it cant be good- the sugar will make your BS go up but then the alcohol will make it drop... l would have thought the best thing is to keep it stable all the time. Another factor for me is that l tend to occasionally get eczema which is not helped by alcohol- it heats the blood.

Iambackwards

Depends on the alcohol you drink. When I was diagnosed at 18 I went from drinking beer and alchopops to only drinking vodka with diet coke or coke zero, pepsi max etc.

I treat alcohol like it's another form of insulin. If I drink, I take less insulin and make sure to eat enough carbs because it drops my sugar level a lot. Also stops your liver from dumping glucose into your blood when you hypo, which can be kind of dangerous but if I have taken my basal in the morning and there is no bolus in my system, every 4th drink or so I'll get a drink that has sugar in it to keep up with the basal insulin.

I thought about cutting out alcohol all together, but like it too much and I never get high sugar levels from it, only some morning lows.

franclegg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What you have to bear in mind is that Halle Berry has thousands to spend on dieticians who can advise her of what to eat in order to ensure she doesnt need insulin.( i personally dont think that its a safe way of life) Surely after all the years of scientific research if it was that easy then all us type 1's would be "cured"

Re: Any type 1's who don't use insulin? Flatbush Diabetes

I have recently discovered that I have definately have Flatbush diabetes. I was diagnosed a year ago as having type 1 diabetes. I was refered to a diabetic nurse who instantly put me on insulin injections.

I carried on as normal as possible, using the insulin for around 11 months. Two days before Xmas I had a call from my doctor at outpatients. He said that he suspected that I had flatbush diabetes and that the diabetes may just dissapear! This was a massive shock as I was told diabetes is for life. After a month of knowing that I had Flatbush my doctor started to wean me off my background and fast acting insulin. The process took about two months but now I am completely free of diabetes.

I still keep a constant check on my blood sugars but have rarely been above 8.5. I have been downgraded to type 2 diabetes even though I had been a definate type 1. I take no medication at all and I am sure that as long as I keep my weight under control that I will have no further problems. I am not obese and weigh 14.7 stones and am 5 feet ten. My diabetic nurse thinks it may return when I am old but as i'm only 36 this seems like a welcome reprieve.

Flatbush is definately something to consider if you are a black diabetic. I knew nothing previously about Flatbush and if it wasn't discovered by a doctor then I would have been made dependent on insulin, just from using it. Insulin is needed intially but the body seems to recover and frequent hypos reduce the need for as much insulin. I am told the condition is very rare but I have not been approached by any doctor with an interest in what happened to me, which I find quite astonishing. I noticed that even a search for information on Flatbush in this website only gives TWO Hits! I hope that this message can enlighten anyone searching for elusive information on this condition and welcome any replies.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mickey,
I'm glad that you had a doctor who realised the possibility. I have 'met' people with this type of diabetes on a couple of the US forums but no-one else in the UK.
In some of the literature it is becoming known as ketosis prone type 2 so you might find more about it under that name.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/12/2755.extract