Any type 2 runners

louch1

Hi I have been running for nearly 5 years and before I was diagnosed . Recently after a run(3-5km) I have felt really sick and today I nearly didn't make it home with an upset stomach . I take mediformin . I always make sure I eat 30 mins before I run and I always make sure I drink as well. I have been type 2 for 2 years . It's like starting the med's all over again.
Can anyone help it has baffled me
Thank you

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea, I run most days (usually a treadmill between 5 and 8km) but once a week a Parkrun. I take metformin, but running doesnt boost its side effects for me. I tend to run first thing in the morning before I eat anything

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll tag @KevinPotts as he's type 2 and I'm sure he runs - sorry if you're not Kevin :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I'll tag @KevinPotts as he's type 2 and I'm sure he runs - sorry if you're not Kevin :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Hi louch1, I'm T2 and I run every morning first thing for a mile around my village green.

About 3 months ago whilst running on the gym
treadmill, I felt faint and sick and this happened several times so I went to see the doctor....

Guess what.... he did lots of tests and bloods and discovered over the space of a month that I was T2...that was nearly 9 weeks ago.

In addition to my T2 diag, he put me on an LCHF diet (20g carbs per day) for 12 weeks then review... that's the phase I'm currently in.

The doc also arranged for me to have several ECGs and an ETT (exercise threshold test) at the hospital to check my heart and possible atherosclerosis. I've just completed all these additional tests, was given a clean bill of health and my doc thinks the problem was Metabolic Syndrome related as a result of my T2, but that my LCHF has helped correct my body.

Now that's my story and yours could and probably is completely different...BUT...what I would say is Go and see your doctor:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Reactions: 3 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been running for nearly 5 years and before I was diagnosed . Recently after a run(3-5km) I have felt really sick and today I nearly didn't make it home with an upset stomach . I take mediformin . I always make sure I eat 30 mins before I run and I always make sure I drink as well. I have been type 2 for 2 years . It's like starting the med's all over again.
Thank you
Try looking round http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Type_2_Basics.html

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi louch1, I'm T2 and I run every morning first thing for a mile around my village green.

About 3 months ago whilst running on the gym
treadmill, I felt faint and sick and this happened several times so I went to see the doctor....

Guess what.... he did lots of tests and bloods and discovered over the space of a month that I was T2...that was nearly 9 weeks ago.

In addition to my T2 diag, he put me on an LCHF diet (20g carbs per day) for 12 weeks then review... that's the phase I'm currently in.

The doc also arranged for me to have several ECGs and an ETT (exercise threshold test) at the hospital to check my heart and possible atherosclerosis. I've just completed all these additional tests, was given a clean bill of health and my doc thinks the problem was Metabolic Syndrome related as a result of my T2, but that my LCHF has helped correct my body.

Now that's my story and yours could and probably is completely different...BUT...what I would say is Go and see your doctor:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Wow @KevinPotts i had no idea it was your Doc who put you on LCHF. Pretty forward thinking then? Mine just put me on Metformin :(

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow @KevinPotts i had no idea it was your Doc who put you on LCHF. Pretty forward thinking then? Mine just put me on Metformin :(

Yes he's amazing. Yvonne went to him recently, had a battery of tests and the nurse phoned to discuss her Lipid Panel as her LDL was 3.6.

She came back upset at the way she'd been spoken to and the lack of specific information she received. Anyway, I suggested she phone up and ask to speak to our GP, which she did. As usual he was brilliant. He gave her a quick breakdown of her lipids saying....

"Well your trigs are .75 that's amazing, your HDL is 2.0, that's great, your LDL is 3,6, but so what they'll all be big and fluffy. Your cholesterol is great. Eat as many eggs and as much cheese as you want. You're very healthy."

One appreciative patient offering a well deserved accolade to his GP:)

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you
Hi louch1, I run 5k most mornings (sometimes 8km) I don't eat at all before a run, nor take any meds. Water should suffice over such sort periods of exercise. Do you think you may be exerting yourself too much, trying for the next Personal Best?

Reactions: 2 people

Glimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many issues of unfairness and abuse of vulnerable people to discuss
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with T2 and have not come to terms with the impact that it is currently having on my life.... I have been a runner for the past 8 years, and when I saw this forum I was delighted, as it was the one thing I felt that I could really hang on to through the process of acceptance. Keeping it 'normal' but making adjustments if that makes sense. To be honest, I feel angry and 'cheated' by my body, and running keeps me balanced and sane.... so I will be enjoying what people are saying in this forum. I am still running, but my 'drive' and interest in doing so has substantially reduced in the past couple of months, which I am attributing to some reactive depression, and the fact that my blood glucose has been around the 85 mark and made me feel like an anaesthetised slug.....

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with T2 and have not come to terms with the impact that it is currently having on my life.... I have been a runner for the past 8 years, and when I saw this forum I was delighted, as it was the one thing I felt that I could really hang on to through the process of acceptance. Keeping it 'normal' but making adjustments if that makes sense. To be honest, I feel angry and 'cheated' by my body, and running keeps me balanced and sane.... so I will be enjoying what people are saying in this forum. I am still running, but my 'drive' and interest in doing so has substantially reduced in the past couple of months, which I am attributing to some reactive depression, and the fact that my blood glucose has been around the 85 mark and made me feel like an anaesthetised slug.....

Welcome Glimmer!

You'll enjoy this family of wonderfully supportive friends:)

Depression is certainly a fairly common response to a T2 diagnosis and I found that adopting a Low Carb High Fat diet so changed my fuel intake that any depression I was experiencing disappeared with a couple of weeks or so and has not returned, but my energy levels are at a level hitherto unknown:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

louch1

Hi. Thank you for your message. I think it's so hard being a diabetic and a runner as you need a certain amount of sugar to run.
For me I keep it simple. When I get up I always test myself. I am usually between 7-9. I then eat my piece of wholemeal toast with peanut butter and I know this is strange but I have a cup of white coffee and a big glass of water 30 mins before I run . I went through a phase of not having the energy to run and I read an article about diabetic runners and it explained if you run longer than 20 mins you should eat something like a banana, toast or a fruit slice. It's trail and error . If I still feel like my energy is low I eat 2 jelly babies as well. I too suffer with depression and running has helped. I view it as my time . I may not be a great runner but my motto is I run faster than a sofa. So three times a week it's me and imagine dragons. :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. Thank you for your message. I think it's so hard being a diabetic and a runner as you need a certain amount of sugar to run.
For me I keep it simple. When I get up I always test myself. I am usually between 7-9. I then eat my piece of wholemeal toast with peanut butter and I know this is strange but I have a cup of white coffee and a big glass of water 30 mins before I run . I went through a phase of not having the energy to run and I read an article about diabetic runners and it explained if you run longer than 20 mins you should eat something like a banana, toast or a fruit slice. It's trail and error . If I still feel like my energy is low I eat 2 jelly babies as well. I too suffer with depression and running has helped. I view it as my time . I may not be a great runner but my motto is I run faster than a sofa. So three times a week it's me and imagine dragons. :)

Do you like reading?

If so get hold of a copy Kindle/paper of

"The art and science of low carb performance", it's a book focused on athletes and runner written by the top two LCHF experts on the planet, Phinney and Volek.

It's like reading a thriller:)

DIAGNOSED: 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

UPDATE: 16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.