Any woman fancy becoming an Opera Buddy?

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Hi All,
Had a big bust up with my Opera Buddy (who is also my niece 61yrs). I got drunk today for the first time since 1968 - possibly I still am. Looking for a replacement.
Objectives:
Open and honest friendship with a lady who loves opera / classical music. Nothing else - no strings.

My preferences:
Woman. I don't like talking football or darts all night.
In Nottinghamshire / Derbyshire / Lincolnshire / perhaps Leicestershire area to minimise transport.
Single / divorced / no attachments. Otherwise there's someone else to consider when booking.
Preferably email connected. Bookings come up very quickly (to get decent seats).
Happy to have an occasional meal.
Must have sense of humour / irony :) Will need to look under the surface at the real me :)

At the moment I hold about £600 worth of pairs of tickets all bought and paid for - Carmen; Rosenkavilier; Cinderella; La Boheme and so on in Buxton, Chesterfield and Nottingham spanning from September to next May. My last opera buddy didn't pay towards the tickets and I don't expect the replacement to either. My offspring like me to have 'someone there'. I have to drive myself to the venues so there should be no travelling costs (hence my preferred locations). Obviously I am retired so time is in plentiful supply.

Me: Single, 73, ugly, fat and bald, T2 diabetic (under control) and slight spinal problem but I'm told I can be very amusing when I get going.

Reactions: 2 people

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Hi All,
Had a big bust up with my Opera Buddy (who is also my niece 61yrs). I got drunk today for the first time since 1968 - possibly I still am. Looking for a replacement.
Objectives:
Open and honest friendship with a lady who loves opera / classical music. Nothing else - no strings.

Single should read Widower - since a year last January.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck in your search, I am sure you will get lots of offers. I would, but I am now taken ( for now :p after being on my own for over an decade, also I live too far way)

All the best, love the 'ad' :D

Reactions: 6 people

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good luck in your search, I am sure you will get lots of offers. I would, but I am now taken ( for now :p after being on my own for over an decade, also I live too far way)

All the best, love the 'ad' :D

Thank you Robin. I'm not expecting a lot of replies. I might well be happy with just one :)

John.

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Great thread and good luck ...
Maybe don't get drunk again .. Not in this heat ;) 1968 was that our last bit of summer :)

Reactions: 4 people

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
sorry for your loss to .. But glad to hear you are getting out and about .. That's good and positive :)
Thank you Kat. I don't think there are a lot of forum members in my area, but I had to start somewhere :)

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@notned ....good luck with your search....just to give you some hope you never now who you will meet here on the forum as myself and @Clivethedrive can testify....we met on here via the forum and are now in a loving relationship .....hope you find someone to share your interests with....:)

Reactions: 6 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@notned , what a terrific post!

I'm sorry you've lost your opera buddy, and I wish you well in your search for another. What a lovely opportunity for someone.

I wish you the very best in your search!

:)

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks folks.
My main problem is that whilst I'm 73 on the outside (and look every year of it) I'm only 18 inside. I positively like doing silly things sometimes. :)

J.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks folks.
My main problem is that whilst I'm 73 on the outside (and look every year of it) I'm only 18 inside. I positively like doing silly things sometimes. :)

J.
Quite right, too!

I'm 26, and always will be.
(Except I'm **coughs** actually not.)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks folks.

J.

We all do, it's great fun :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks folks.

J.

Notned, I'm not putting myself forward but just wondered if you would consider a variety of opera companions through the season? Maybe asking someone who is single, with no ties, and a non-footie fan, to effectively commit to several events could be a bit overwhelming?

You could potentially have a whole bunch of fun meeting more than one companion, and you may even find someone you really rub along with for repeat events.

As for your vigour and your mismatch of mental and chronological age, it's very common. My OH will be 70 on his birthday. He plays golf every day, he sails, plays tennis and can party with the best of them. His only concession is when he parties, he accepts it's not every day!

I hope it goes well for you.

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank-you AndBreathe.
I should have said - I really don't expect any one person to do all the trips (one or two a month, with a big gap from November to March at the moment). My arrangement with my niece was that I would provide a list of bookings I had made (bearing her interests in mind) and she had first pick of them. It was also understood that she could drop out of any one that she had agreed to at any time and for any reason. I stressed that I would like as much notice then as possible (my daughter isn't always free) but I understand that unexpected things come up.
I suppose that begs the question 'Why not do them all with your daughter?'. I speak to my daughter, who only lives 5 miles away, at least once every day. I know about her work, and her hobbies and her husband in detail. The opera trips gave me someone else to talk to.

J.

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
And it would only start with just one trip..

S

Shar67

Oh now I wish
A I lived in the East Midlands
B I had no attachments, though we both have our individual hobbies

My father in law is 84 still works part time and is younger now than he was at 54
My dad is 76 works when he wants, goes out every day and will be forever 21
My great grandma auld Aggie lived until she was 96, she was a type 1 diabetic and did shopping and cleaning for some old dears as she called them right up to 6 days before she died (we didn't like to ask how old the old dears were)
Age is but a number a celebration of each passing year how you live that year is what's important

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank-you AndBreathe.
I should have said - I really don't expect any one person to do all the trips (one or two a month, with a big gap from November to March at the moment). My arrangement with my niece was that I would provide a list of bookings I had made (bearing her interests in mind) and she had first pick of them. It was also understood that she could drop out of any one that she had agreed to at any time and for any reason. I stressed that I would like as much notice then as possible (my daughter isn't always free) but I understand that unexpected things come up.
I suppose that begs the question 'Why not do them all with your daughter?'. I speak to my daughter, who only lives 5 miles away, at least once every day. I know about her work, and her hobbies and her husband in detail. The opera trips gave me someone else to talk to.

J.

I hope it all works out for you, and I'm sure some of the points you raise in your most recent couple of points will be helpful to anyone considering joining in on this adventure with you.

In my view, there's nothing more important than family, but external interests, external stimuli and adventures are important too.

Good luck with it all.