Anybody reversed pre diabetes

KatieCat

Hi everyone, are there any people out there who have managed to reverse pre diabetes through exercise, diet and weight loss (if necessary)? I am obese bmi 32. My hba1c was 6.1 or 44. My OGTT was 5.4 fasting and 2.8 after 2 hours (I think that must have been a reactive hypo in response to a spike but the hospital nurse just said 'normal' !)Am looking for inspiration as feeling a bit overwhelmed by my recent diagnosis of pre diabetes. I say diagnosis but after the doctor gave me my hba1c of 6.1 she just said it's nothing to lose sleep over and I'm not diabetic, she gave no diet advice at all....grrrr how outrageous...it's a good job I always check things out myself. I've managed to lose 10 lbs in the last week and started to do 30 mins of exercise a day (after not doing any proper exercise for a while)....fingers crossed this will help get my hba1c back to a 'normal' range. This forum is great for info and encouragement. Any advice or inspirational stories would be appreciated.

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
Hiya

I also have Pre diabetes, my fasting was 6, and my 2 hour bloods were at 9.8, pretty close to full diabetes - was diagnosed last year, it scared me into looking after myself, I to was obese, my BMI was 45, now its 28 i weighed 133 kg and now im 82 kg. I joined a gym (i go 6 days a week) and lost 51 kg's. I live as a diabetic, meaning low gi and low carb. I dont test so im not sure what my numbers are - but im thinking they must be better after losing weight - im due to have my annual test in August and will be interesting to see my HBA1C results.
My advice would be to take Pre diabetes very seriouly, act now and reduce your chances of getting full diabetes - in my case im likely to get it as i have a strong family history - but im doing everything i can through diet and excercise to slow it down.
Also just want to add that i now feel fantastic!! healthy and have energy!

Well done in the 10 lbs lost! :D

Reactions: Paul41

KatieCat

Hi Angela, thanks for replying...it's great to know that you feel healthy and energetic now. I feel quite lethargic, unfit and a bit older than my 39 years so I'm hoping that like you I'll feel so much better after I've lost weight. Sounds like you've got the right idea with going to the gym and doing low gi healthy eating. I expect you'll see a great improvement in your results with such a healthy lifestyle. I've got to see this as a wake up call, and instead of seeing this pre diabetes thing as negative, I should see it as a postive opportunity to have a healthier way of living. Thanks again for your lovely reply and advice. All the best, Katie :)

Reactions: Michellenz

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi KatieCat

If it's due to insulin resistance you can reverse pre-diabetes - I would advise a low-carb diet as it works for me, but using a diet that works for you, portion control and watching your carb intake should all help. As your blood glucose lowers, and your body weight/BMI, you'll feel a lot better and more energised. Exercise is useful if you can.

The only thing to remember is that you are prone to diabetes, and to stay diabetes-free you will have to find a lifestyle that suits you and that you can stick to. You've had a warning - pay attention to it!

Diabetes has been the best thing that's happened to me - my Type 2 was caught early, and it's made me realise that I have to take control of things and stop being an overweight slob. Who knows - the inner slim woman may yet get out! pity the mid-60s is a bit late! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck - you can do it! :thumbup:

Viv 8)

KatieCat

Hi Vivian, thanks for your encouraging words :) . I am doing low carb at the moment (for the past 4 weeks now) to lose weight and to lower bg levels and doing research on low gi too. Luckily I have a bg tester from when I had gestational diabetes and still get strips on repeat prescription (though fingers crossed that will keep going as my doctor is against self testing and is probably unaware of the repeat prescription so I'm making the most of it while it lasts!). Am hoping to up the carbs a little after I've lost the weight (3 and a bit stone to get me within 'healthy range' :? ) so that I can sustain the healthy eating for life. Fingers crossed that one day I can have a small piece of cake maybe once a month as a treat (not till I've lost the weight though!). In the last 4 weeks I have gone from having my usual meals which often included pasta, mashed potato or rice with probably 2 chocolate bars a day to a 30 to 50g of carbs a day and certainly no chocolate! After recently having had gestational diabetes and being on a restricted diet then I was told the diabetes would 'go away' afterwards. My OGTT 8 weeks afterwards showed 5.4 fasting and 2.8 2 hours afterwards :roll: When giving the results the diabetic nurse said they were 'normal' but I remember feeling dizzy after the test and having a sandwich to feel better so think the 2.8 was verging on a hypo... probably hyperinsulinism (not sure if that's the correct word exactly) so certainly unstable bg and insulin resistance. I'm amazed that the nurse/hospital didn't pick up on that but anyway I chose to accept the 'normal' diagnosis and went back to my usual higher carb eating for a few months until I decided to ask for hba1c test to be sure , (6.17%) a pre diabetic level. It certainly has been a warning and has put me off chocolate altogether! Am doing zumba 30 mins a day and walking a lot more now...do you walk Viv? Wensleydale is such a beautiful place for walking isn't it? This diabetes thing is a big kick up the a**e to change to a much healthier more energetic way of life so I suppose it's best to view it as a positive opportunity. It's great Viv that your type 2 was caught early and mid 60s is not late at all! I expect you're much more energetic than me at 39...though it's encouraging to know that soon I'll feel more energized than I have for a while by following this healthier way of life. Really sorry if I've rambled on a bit! Thanks again for your lovely message, take care, Katie :D

Natashasamadi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi KatieCat! Im also prediabetic haven't got diagnosed yet but my fasting is around 6.0 in the morning. My A1c came out 5.3% so that was in range but I dont know for how long. How is your blood sugar today? Did you reverse it?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi KatieCat! Im also prediabetic haven't got diagnosed yet but my fasting is around 6.0 in the morning. My A1c came out 5.3% so that was in range but I dont know for how long. How is your blood sugar today? Did you reverse it?
You are replying to a thread that's nearly 12 years old. I doubt you'll get a reply. Please feel free to start a new thread if your own 8f you have questiins