Anyone get random sore gums?

victry77

Does anyone ever suffer with intermittent soreness on random areas of their gums?

Just to point out, this started to happen shortly prior to being diagnosed as Type 1. Also, my BG is well controlled.

Every so often, I will get a sore area on my gum which I only notice when brushing. Usually the soreness is always just above an upper tooth (normally the canines and sometimes a tooth a bit further back) and when I brush I will develop what looks like a small paper cut on the gum directly above the tooth. This will last for a few days to a week then go. However, it will then reappear after a few weeks/couple of months in an area of gum above another tooth.

The past couple of weeks, I've had it above a back tooth and for the past few days have treated with a course of Corsydol (which has usually been effective in the past). The soreness cleared up after a day, but I just brushed my teeth and noticed soreness above my right canine and sure enough there was the little 'paper cut'.

My last dentist appt. was this time a year ago. Had a couple of filings fixed and told of my occasional random gum soreness. Was told my gums were in pretty good condition. Went for a hygeinist appt. 8 months ago and there was no issues raised about my gum health then either.

Does this ever happen to anyone else? The only person I know of who would often get intermittent sore gums was my step-dad and he's now hardly got a tooth in his head, he's had to have so many pulled!!!

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Yup, I do. But mine is down to a reaction with cyto-toxic drug therapy Methotrexate which i have been on now for 14 years. Last year it affected all of my teeth and the flesh inside my mouth turned black (necrosis) and almost,died.
Do not let this get too bad before getting treatment. Due to inaction by my GP I had to present at A&e as an emergency. Took nine months to get it sorted out.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

victry77

Mine has gone on for several years on and off, though, and I've never been diagnosed with any gum problems on visits to the dentist.

C

catherinecherub

I wonder if it is related to a particular food?
Sometimes spicy or acid food can cause these problems. Try keeping a food diary and see if there is a connection.

victry77

Hi Andy, well I've been T1 for 6yrs and I would say this started about 2yrs prior to diagnosis. I know I cold go to the dentist tomorrow and they would say my gums look fine, which they do, it's just these random times when a certain area will get sore.

Thanks Catherine, I never thought about food before. I don't tend to eat much spicy stuff, but sometimes I do, can't say I've noticed a connection, but then haven't been looking for one.