Anyone have any information to give to employers?

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there I have recently had major surgery and returned to work. 5 weeks in and my pre diabetes/possible T2 was diagnosed. Massive shock especially after only just getting back in my feet. Have not been treated at all well by my employer who threatened disciplinary action when so I left 10 mins early to attend an emergency GP appointment. She couldn't have done anything legally as the union would have been on her like a tonne of bricks and she seemed to enjoy making me feel bad to be taking more time off for yet another health reason. Basically implied this was no big deal.

I'm a teacher and I have to say we live in a total climate of fear about taking any time off. Our bosses think we should deal with all medical issues out of school hours and in the holidays. I try to but you won't be surprised to know that Drs who have kids also go away in the holidays so it is not always possible.

Do you have any guidance literature for employers to help them to understand the nature of this disease and the adaptations needed in the workplace?